Chapter 2

POGO LED HER to the kitchen to see a woman baking cookies whilst humming a tone. "Sit anywhere you'd like." Pogo told the girl. She obliged by taking a seat on the chair nearest to her.

As if on cue, the older lady put the baking tray filled with bits of chocolate-chip cookie dough in the oven and turned around with a smile.

"Number eight, this is Grace. Sir Reginald built her to be a mother figure to the children. Now that you're a part of this family, she will be your mother from now on." Pogo introduced to the new girl.

In front of her stood a well-dressed woman with a neatly-styled blonde hair. Her hands were at the robot's front as she held up a good posture. Her face and outfit looked like it came fresh off from the 1950s which the girl adored so much. Overall, she was beautiful.

"Hello, number Eight, nice to meet you." Grace greeted with her motherly voice. The H/C haired girl smiled at her new mother as a way of saying 'Nice to meet you too' to her.

"Now, I want you to take off your shoes, and I'll go prepare a basin of ice cubes for your foot cramp." Her robotic mother ordered with a perky tone lacing in her voice as she left to go grab a basin and filled it up with ice cubes.

Number Eight obeyed her adopted mother's orders and gingerly untied the laces of her black Chuck Taylor's that she stole in a shopping mall a few months back with other clothings when her old clothes were too small for her.

She set her shoes aside and waited for the pile of ice. Pogo sat by the wall and read the newspaper to get himself busy while Grace treated her foot. The motherly robot approached the girl with the ice filled basin in her hands. Grace glanced up at her new daughter and smiled before setting the basin down and gently put the girl's foot in it.

Number Eight jumped a little at the sudden coldness that touched her foot. "Now, let it sit there for 30 minutes and you should be walking a little better."

Ding.

"Oh, just in time!" Grace exclaimed. With that, she wore oven mitts and opened the oven. The girl's stomach couldn't help but rumble when she got a whiff of the freshly baked cookies.

Grace let them cool down for a moment and offered her new daughter some which she gladly took one. "Thank you." The girl replied shortly with a smile as she took a bite of the treat.

"You're welcome," the older lady said. By then, she turned to the counter and cleaned up the surroundings.

Suddenly, the girl heard footsteps from behind getting louder as they get closer. "Hey, mom!" She heard a boy greet.

"Diego! You're just in time! There's freshly baked cookies on the table." Grace exclaimed with the same smile the girl has been seeing.

"Thanks, mom," this so-called Diego exclaimed. He walked over to the table where the girl was seated and sat on the table right beside her, letting her get a good look at him.

"Hi, I'm Number 2, my name's Diego," he held up a hand for the girl to shake.

The H/C haired girl took it and gave it a shake, "Well, nice to meet you, Diego. I'm.. well.. Number 8." She smiled awkwardly, knowing that she didn't have a real name like him.

"Don't you have a name?" The tanned boy questioned. The girl shook her head.

"Wow.. Really? How come?" Another boy asked who she didn't notice come in. Her head turned to him, "Er-".

"Oh, right, I'm Klaus by the way. Looking forward to be besties with you!" He introduced himself. The girl giggled but soon she stopped when she caught off guard when Klaus hugged her.