CHAPTER EIGHT: A DYAD IN THE FORCE

*(Rey sits in the cockpit of the Millennium Falcon alone meditating. Objects all around the room begin to levitate, then drop when she senses a man standing behind her. She turns in fright to see Darth Toorn without his helmet standing behind her inspecting his surroundings. He looks at Rey.)

Darth Toorn: Why is the Force connecting us? You and me?

Rey: (Stands up quickly) How did you get in here!?

(She Force pulls her lightsaber to her but Toorn grabs it with the Force and brings it to himself.)

Darth Toorn: Listen! I don't wish to fight. I don't even know how I got here in the first place. The Force is somehow connecting our minds to each other. (Looks out the cockpits viewport at the fleet of Resistance starships) Preparing for your next attack?

Rey: Why would I tell you?

Darth Toorn: Why wouldn't you? You know what my true goal is. If you plan to attack our base on Exogol that's fine, I don't care.

Rey: How did you-?

Darth Toorn: I can sense it. You know what happened to Cloud City. That's why your attacking. For payback. Go ahead, continue on with your plan, but know this; Once Snoke is dead and his plan to reanimate Palpatine is stopped, I will become Emperor of the galaxy, and nothing will stand in my way.

Rey: Nothing but the Jedi.

Darth Toorn: Oh please, the Jedi is a religion that will soon be wiped out of existence. Remember that I was the one that wiped most of them out. Now only you and Skywalker remain.

Rey: Well if I'm a Jedi, then why did you save me? In the jungle.

Darth Toorn: (Thinks for a moment) Because I need you. I need to pass on what I have learned.

Rey: Like, as an apprentice? I was under the impression that you wanted to kill me and my master.

Darth Toorn: Who said I wanted to? Skywalker is a relic. He will die as a sad old man who has lost everything. You on the other hand-

Rey: What?!

Darth Toorn: Rey, you know what I want... and I know what you want. It's time to let old things die. Snoke, Skywalker, the Sith, the Jedi, the rebels, let it all die... Rey, join me. We can rule together and bring a new order to the galaxy.

Rey: Ben please, please don't continue down this way.

Darth Toorn: No, no you're still holding on. Let it all go. Let your emotions drive you, just like I have. Rey, we are a dyad in the Force, trust me. Allow me to-

Rey: NO! None of this wouldn't be happened if you would come with me! Cloud City, the war, none of it! Only if you hadn't-

Darth Toorn: If I hadn't what? Betrayed you? Just say it already.

Rey: You betrayed yourself! Ben, I've seen your potential for good.

Darth Toorn: You only saw what you wanted to see. You're too naïve, too blinded by the light. If only you'd let the darkness in, I know you could achieve so much more.

Rey: Then perhaps the light allowed me to see past the darkness. Besides, I've seen what your emotions have led you to. I will not take the same path you did. (Turns away from him)

Darth Toorn: (Hesitates) My emotions did not lead me to the dark side. It was failure. The Jedi Order's failure led me to who I am now. My emotions however... led me to you. Rey, I know you feel the same way. (Takes a step closer to her)

Rey: Ben I- I do care about you. (She turns around slowly and is right up to him) When I met you all those years ago, not a day has gone by where I haven't thought of you... passionately. (Places a hand on his chest) But I can't, we can't. Not now. (Takes her hand off his chest) You've hurt and murdered dozens of innocent people across the galaxy. You hurt me and my friends! Those were your choices and only yours! The darkness turned you into a monster, into its slave. And yet... and yet the light keeps on waiting for you. I can sense your conflict, let all of your hate go! You don't need it!

(Toorn looks down, then back up at Rey. Her soft eyes meet his. He walks to the viewport of the cockpit and looks out into space.)

Darth Toorn: Uncle Luke once thought as you do. (Sternly) But I can't. It's too late for me Rey... but not for you. I can show you the true nature of the Force. Let me show it to you. (Holds out his hand) Then we can be together and overcome any obstacle.

Rey: Ben... I... but-

Darth Toorn: Please?

(Rey tried to imagine her future if she were to take his hand. She thought, "Would it be so bad? To rule? But I can't. But Ben and I can bring down Snoke, stop his plan and we can bring peace and order... together. No! What am I thinking?! It wouldn't be the Jedi way. And everything I have fought for would be for nothing.")

Rey: No... I can't. (Toorn lowers his hand as she tears up)

Darth Toorn: (Sounding like the wind has been knocked out of him) Why?

Rey: I do want to take your hand. (Sniffles) But only if it is Ben who offers it.

(Toorn looks at Rey with a sad expression. He looks down, then back up with Rey with disappointment. He drops her lightsaber on the floor as he vanishes. Rey begins to cry as she sits down in the captain's chair. Luke enters the room and sees that Rey is breaking down into tears.)

Luke: Rey? What's wrong? Are you alright?

Rey: (Looks up at him) No... no I'm not. (She hugs her Master while she continues to cry)

(On Exogol, Darth Toorn notices he is back inside his quarters. Still looking upset, he gets a communicator call from Snoke.)

Snoke: Apprentice! The ritual is about to begin. Come to the temple immediately with the helmet.

Darth Toorn: (Coldly) Yes, my Master.

(The calls ends. Toorn's eyes turn into a Sith yellow with hatred coursing through him. He crushes the communicator with his hand. He takes Vader's helmet and begins to walk to the dark temple.)