Chapter 18 - Married

Crystal's POV:

I blushed and looked into the mirror. I had to say that Shantell had done a perfect job on my hair. I bit my lip and tried not to smile my face off. It was two weeks after Erik's arrival and we were about to get married. Shantell was my bride's maid and Blayne was Erik's best man. I had to laugh at that because the boy was ten and barely came up to Erik's waist. But Erik insisted and I gave in easily. It was a funny picture. I smiled at the memory and straighten the dress. It was a full skirt and fell easily to the floor. It was sleeve-less and I was slightly embarrassed at my bare shoulders. I never thought that I was too pretty but Shantell said I looked lovely. I smiled at my reflection and I walked toward the door of my room. Shantell was waiting at the car and we were about to drive to the church. Erik had gone ahead with the wolves and Blayne.

Erik had perfected his wheeled sled and was quite proud his accomplishment. He had also trimmed his wolves' long hair. It was too warm for them and though he hated it it was a good thing for them. I had decided to sell my sled dogs. It was getting impractical to keep sixteen dogs and Shantell's cattle dogs. I sold the seven Canadian Eskimo Dogs. A neighbor fell in love with them and took them all. I kept Nantucket. I couldn't to get rid of her. She was one of my best friends. Erik had adjusted the sled to fit nine wolves. Cromwell was still the leader but Nantucket was just behind him in command. Erik soon became known as the Wolf Lord. It was strange that it was a twist on his old name. The ranchers loved him though. His wolves never hurt anyone and could find anything with their noses. I settled back into the car and sighed. I was marrying a genius and felt highly unworthy. Erik argued that he was the one who was unworthy and in the end we kiss, deciding that we would never agree on the subject. I felt sorry for Shantell who was having to put with all our kissing and hugging. She would just watch us and roll her eyes. At least now she wouldn't have to watch us. We had bought a small ranch to the north and it would be ours. It turned out the Erik still had a lot of money from those years as a criminal. We had learned that people wanted wolf pups. We had pure wolves so we had decided to breed wolves. It would a good job and keep us fed. It also meant we could keep them.

Shantell stopped the car in front of the church and I saw all nine wolves sitting under the only tree. I smiled as Nantucket ran toward me. She sat down in front of me and I petted her gently. I called them all and walked into the church with Shantell and nine wolves on my heels. Shantell guided me to the small sanctuary and told me to wait. I tugged at my dress and waited for my signal to go in. I was scared. I knew it because I started to talk to Nantucket.

“You know, Nan, I am scared. I don't know if I will be a good wife and mother. I know I have Blayne but he is almost grown. I don't know what to do. What if I can't have children? I know that I probably can but what if-” I stopped talking when I noticed Shantell was watching me. She gave me the look that said, “Really?” I smiled nervously.

“Are you ready? Erik and Blayne are in place.” I nodded and the ceremony started. She walked down the aisle and I followed with all the wolves on my heels. I smiled at the thought that those wolves probably could be thought of as the rest of my bride's maids. Erik was standing by the alter and I blushed under the veil. He was so handsome. He had even left the mask off. I was so proud of him. I could tell the pastor was uncomfortable. He must not like dogs, I thought to myself. I proudly walked down to Erik. He reached for my hands and took them firmly in his. The pastor started the ceremony and I saw Shantell was quietly crying. Even Erik had a few tears in his eyes. As for me I was too happy to cry. I wasn't much of a crier. But then I noticed that a tear was slipping down Blayne's cheek. He was crying. I focused on Erik and almost didn't hear it when the preacher said,

“Do you take this man to be your husband?” I nodded and whispered,

“I do.” I didn't know where my voice had gone but it wasn't there. He asked Erik the same question and his answer was the same as mine. Then the pastor said,

“You may kiss the bride.” Erik lifted the veil and looked into my eyes for a moment before kissing me soundly on the lips. I pulled him close and responded as passionately as he. At last I was Mrs. Erik DeLane.