Chapter Twenty-Seven

"My Charlee girl." Grayson walked up to me before last period started as I grabbed books from my locker. "Ally says you haven't been eating at lunch all week."

"Why is she out here trying to spread rumors? Can't your sister just stay out of my business?" I nipped at him.

"Hey Charlee." He placed his hands lightly on my shoulders, making me focus on just him. His voice was calm, reassuring. "I'm not trying to get into any of your business and I don't think Ally is either." One of his hands reached for my chin to lift my head up to look at him. "Forget what Ally has to say. I'm worried about you." Sincerity sounded in his voice.

"I'm fine Grayson." I turned my head trying to get it out of his grip.

"But you're not. I thought after talking Monday we had worked through everything."

"We did. I am fine. How many times do I have to say it Gray?" I was holding back the sadness in my voice, not wanting to break my walls down for him.

"Until you're blue in the face because I know you aren't fine Charlee girl."

"Isn't that what drinking is for? To numb the pain? To numb emotions? Feelings?" Grayson's face dropped.

"Charlee Baker. What is going on?" His voice was riddled with pain.

"Everything is going on. I have to get to class." I started to walk away breaking his grip on me. His footsteps sounded behind me as we were some of the few left in the hallway still.

"I'm not letting this go Charlee." He was serious and I knew as soon as this class ended that he would be waiting for answers. "Have you ever wanted to give up on everything? That's what's going on." I said right as we got to my classroom. Before he could even say anything or stop me from entering, the second bell starting last period sounded allowing me to disappear into the room before he could say a thing.

"What was that about?" Pierce said as I sat down beside him.

I shrugged him off, placing my head down on the table in front of me ignoring the words the teacher was trying to teach. Pierce rubbed my back being the only one to know my thoughts. The only thing he didn't know was how awful I had been treating my body. He had been taking notes for me in last period all week trying to make sure I had everything I needed to catch up for when it came to test time. He knew how much schooling meant to me, and made sure that I could have the opportunity to excel when I was able to.

"Baby girl?" Pierce whispered in my ear igniting feelings that I had been missing all week. I flipped my head to face him having no willpower to sit up at all. Not even his charming words could get my head off that table. "I love you." He mouthed at me causing me to smile. I missed that.

"Kingston?" I whispered so softly I wasn't even sure if I made a sound at all. He ignored me for a few minutes to take notes before giving me the attention I wanted again. "Can you come over after practice with pizza and fries?"

He laughed to himself, but only to himself to make sure that he caught no one's attention. "Of course." He pushed my hair out of my face and focused on the teacher the rest of the class while I closed my eyes on the table we shared.

The class seemed never ending so when the bell sounding the end of the period rang it caused me to jump from my seat. Pierce laughed at my reaction only causing me to slap his shoulder playfully.

Pierce handed me my notebook which was now more filled with his handwriting than my own. "Thanks Pierce." I pulled my books close to my chest and left my brother and Pierce in the classroom.

While I put my books into my locker grabbing what I needed for homework Grayson joined me. "I want you to be happy."

"It's hard looking at you without seeing that awful person you were to me. I look at you and all that runs through my mind are those words that cut me deep. No kiss, no apology, no affection will take that away. Then I heard that you were just using me for someone to fuck and I-" my mind began to drift to the peers passing trying to find the right words to say, "I can't deal with those words. I was just someone to fuck to my own parents, someone to hit, and I really can't hear those words from someone who says they are there for me."

"I would never do that to you Charlee girl. You are more to me than just some random hook up. Jealousy got the best of me with my words and I will always regret that. I know things will never be like that night with the two of us because of my mistake, but I'd like to get as close to that as possible." He stepped closer to me cupping my face in his hands.

I nudged my head into his hands loving the comfort that his hands gave me. It would never be Pierce's comfort, but his words put me at ease with my thoughts. I don't know why I had held in all this pain all week but at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure it was because I needed Pierce to need me again.

"Ready to go sis?" Reece said as he interrupted Grayson and I.

I nodded my head knowing that within a short few hours I'd have Pierce by my side.

"I can take her Reece. You do it every day. It would give you more time with Harlow." Grayson stepped in. I knew that Grayson wanted to work on whatever it was going on between us.

Reece looked at me waiting for me to give an answer. I was a people pleaser, or at least I tried to be a people pleaser. "Grayson can take me. He's right, you should get more time with Low." Grayson grabbed me by my hand and we walked to his car.