Because I love you

11th May 1990:

'Yeah, here we stand or here we fall
History won't care at all
Make the bed, light the light
Lady Mercy won't be home to tonight'

Mike was in the kitchen, singing the lyrics of 'Hammer To Fall' to himself while cooking. It was Wednesday and he got off work early so he decided to surprise his girlfriend with dinner. For the past few weeks she had been working extra hard and he wanted to do something for her. But he couldn't afford anything fancy because he's saving up for a certain something... and he almost had enough money for it. So he decided to cook her favourite meal, with Eggos for dessert of course.

He decorated the table with a silver table cloth and used the fancy china which El claimed she was saving for something special. What's more special than a dinner made by the one and only Mike Wheeler? He thought as he placed the flowers he bought, in a vase in the centre of the table and set out the cutlery. Once the table was done he took a step back and admired his work, proud of himself. It was currently 5:15pm and El was scheduled to be home at 5:30pm. He quickly ran into their room and grabbed an envelope he had hid in his drawer and placed it on her side of the table.

By the time the meal was finished it was just 5:30pm. Mike got out some glasses and started filling them with water when a car started pulling up in the driveway. He smiled to himself, knowing it was her. He only saw her this morning yet he missed her like hell.

"Hey babe." El sang as she entered, dropping her heavy bag on the floor and running over to him.

"Hi gorgeous." He smiled, giving her a sweet, loving kiss.

"Something smells good." El grinned as she took off her jacket and shoes. "What's all this?" She asked, pointing at the flowers and the small envelope on the table.

"Read it." Mike said gently, smirking at her.

El gave him a loving look and picked up the envelope. Within seconds she was in tears.

'To my beautiful El. I know it's not much but I wanted to do something nice for you since you've been working so hard. I just want you to know how proud I am of you for chasing your dreams and I am so lucky to be a part of that. Never stop being you. I love you with all of me.'

~Mike

"You're so sweet." El said through her tears, "I love you so much."

"I love you more." Mike grinned, pulling her into a kiss before she could argue with him.

"Take a seat my love." He said in a posh voice as he pulled out her chair for her.

"Thank you." She laughed as she took his hand and sat down.

He placed a soft kiss on her head before going to retrieve the plates, making her giggle.

"Bon appetite." Mike said in the posh voice.

"Merci." El replied, chuckling at her boyfriends antics.

Once they finished the food, El went to clear up the plates but was unsuccessful as Mike picked her up and carried her bridal style to the couch. "You just sit here and relax." He said as he set her down.

"I wanna help, you do too much for me." El whined.

"How else am I going to get boyfriend of the year award?" Mike smirked.

El scoffed, "I'm serious, you're too good to me."

"Because I love you and you deserve the best baby." He kissed her hand before retreating back to the kitchen to clear up the plates.

El just watched him, her heart beating out of her chest. She often thought how amazing it was that he still had that effect on her even after almost seven years. It filled her with an unbelievable amount of happiness.

"For you milady" Mike called as he presented her with an Eggo extravaganza. But of course in true sappy Mike Wheeler fashion, he drew two hearts with the whipped cream.

"So cute." El smiled as she kissed his cheek.

Mike just grinned and plopped down next to her on the couch. She fed him some of the eggo before getting her own.

"I'm so lucky to have you." El said as she locked eyes with him.

"Why's that?" He asked.

"Because you're the best boyfriend anyone could ask for and you're mine." She smiled.

"Well I'm glad you feel that way coz I'm not going anywhere anytime soon." He smiled back as she snuggled in beside him.

"Good. I'm just going to get an extra fork." She said as she got up and made her way to the kitchen.

"This is forever, I promise." He whispered once she was out of earshot. The words making his heart flutter, because he knew he meant it. He couldn't wait to give the love of his life the future she deserved.