Chapter One

Shane and I have been in the road for about 10 months. We had our New York trip and everything has been perfect so far. The wound in his shoulder healed nicely it left a large scar, a very sexy, large scar. We'd had small and quick run ins with various groups, but we just kept going moved on. None of them were like it used to be. Most had lost faith, refused happiness. Shane and I had traveled everywhere in the states. We'd gone to Arizona, hotter than hell there, Disney world- overrun, we moved west after the farm figured we should just be alive. Some nights, we didn't stop, others we would finally find a place to stay a night maybe more. If we could we'd find somewhere normal to stay, a house, a hotel. Never really mattered where we stayed, but we were together. We had to abandon the truck, it broke down so much it just wasn't worth it. We'd found an SUV like the green car the old group has, or had. Being at least a hundred miles away at all times eliminates all communication. Shane and I ended up back in Georgia, we'd been talking about it for a while. If I have a baby sister or brother out there, might as well meet him or her before one of us dies.

"What do you think it looks like?" I sighed and squeezed Shane's hand. He was driving. We tried to take turns but, he usually drove.

"It?" Shane smiled and looked at me and then back to the road. "You mean the baby?"

"Yeah, the baby. Maybe it died. Maybe they all died." I sighed and smiled a bit. I looked down at my lap.

"Quit thinking like that. You'll see Carl again. Remember? One day." Shane smiled at me. "Do you remember that night when you and Carl decided to sneak out and go for burgers?" I laughed and nodded.

"Yeah, I do. We ran as fast as we could down the block. We stopped at the corner from of your street so you wouldn't see us." We both laughed as I spoke.

"Y'all even wore all black clothes, it was two a.m!" Shane laughed as we turned the corner. "I saw you both run past looking up at my window. You saw me peeking out and sent Carl to keep running."

"Yeah, yeah I did. Then when you came out of the apartment building you took us for burgers anyway." I squeezed his hand tight. "That was the first time I realized that you were more than just my dads best friend."

"That was the first time I realized you were more than a delinquent." Shane smirked at me. I gasped and laughed. "Let's go see what's in that building." Shane pointed at what looked like an old grocery store.

"Looks big, might be full of walkers. Smaller is better you know that." I looked in the backseat and saw the guns laying perfect. We'd picked up any gun we could find, raided houses, business, dead groups. "If it has more than ten, then we-"

"We find somewhere else. Yes, I know baby." Shane pulled into the parking lot in front of the store. I leaned over the Shane and kissed his cheek. "Okay, you are gonna do this now?" Shane looked at me and smiled.

"Yes, sir." I kissed Shane and he pulled me onto his lap. I squealed a bit and laughed. Like always we made out like teenagers. "Okay, lets go." I chuckled and opened the door and slid out.

"Ready?" Shane got our after me and handed me a pistol and then a rifle. I swung it across my back and nodded. Shane then put the guns under the seat and turned off the car. We had made it look old and bloody so it wasn't out there. No one would want this car, not even Daryl Dixon. We approached the doors and we banged on the window five sets of three knocks each. It was a thing we did, just became a normal thing.

"One." I banged three times on the side of the door. I waited about thirty seconds before doing it again. I repeated the pattern until I got to five. We waited three minutes before entering. Nothing came. The whole building was window and you could see basically through the entire thing.