Kabanata 3

Kabanata 3

Moon

"How did she convince you to come here?" Uriel asked.

Umalis saglit si Senyora. Ang nakahilera niyang mga kasambahay kanina ay umakyat para dalhin ang mga gamit ko sa kuwarto. Ang iba'y dumiretso sa kitchen para ihanda ang mga pagkain. It ws already prepared but she wanted to make sure everything is perfect. Kaya naiwan kami ng anak niya rito sa bulwagan.

His tone was playfully curious. I didn't like it. It seems borderline disrespectful. Para bang sinasabi niyang hindi na naman talaga ako kailangang kumbinsihin dahil alam niyang pupunta ako roon.

He poured liquor on a crystal glass. Nasa cabinet iyon sa tabi ng malaking bintana na nakatunghay sa maberdeng labas.

The mansion was very nice. It was full of antique furniture. It was very classic. I understand now why the Senyora liked my taste. If she designed these, I must say we are very much alike. Ang kisame ay puno ng pininturang mga anghel. These things are usually only seen in Italy's architecture.

Nilingon ako ni Uriel. Nasa kamay niya na ngayon ang inumin.

"I'm very curious," dagdag niya na may ngisi sa labi.

My brow shot up. A while ago, I noticed the painting of the two Mercadejas heirs. Anton Mercaadejas Jr., sported one or two inches longer hair than the man in front of me. His was a clean convenient cut. That might mean that he's a practical person compared to his brother. Or maybe, because he engages in extreme sports and has business affairs, he opted a hair like that.

He was also cleanly shaved. The hint of gray in his jaw told me that. The playful glint in his eyes also told me that he was cunning. And that I don't like him. He seems a lot of work and I have no time for that.

"She said I might like you," walang preno kong sinabi. "And that you already like me."

His eyes widened a fraction. Bahagya rin siyang natawa at naibaba niya ang inumin para mas maharap ako.

"Really?" he was taunting. "I wonder how so? Sa party ba?"

There was a ghost of a smile on his lips.

"Well, she said you've seen me and that you said you like me."

Medyo iritado na ako para magpatuloy. He obviously doesn't like me. He chuckled without humor.

"Hmm. I'm sorry about that but she must be mistaken. I never said I like you. It must be a misunderstanding."

I am now annoyed. Pero sige at nagsabi naman siya ng totoo, ayos na rin. How else would he say those things, anyway?

"That's alright. I also don't fancy you so it's a tie." Ngumiti ko.

His eyes narrowed. Unti-unting napawi ang ngiti niya.

Narinig ko ang pagbabalik ni Senyora sa likod ko. Lumipat din ang tingin niya roon kaya alam kong nariyan na si Senyora.

"Hija! Your room is prepared and the food, too. Halika at kumain ka. Uriel, samahan mo kami!" si Senyora.

I pursed my lips and glanced at Uriel who just finished his glass of liquor.

"Hindi ako puwede, Mama. Nangako ako na susunduin ko sina Reynaldo."

"Reynaldo?! Hijo!"

"I'll join you for dinner," he said and kissed his mom's cheek. "Mamaya na lang at may bisita pa ako ngayon."

"But Cian is here..."

Umalis na ito. Palabas na sa bukana. He only raised his hand to dismiss his mother's words.