Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Graduate

"When will I ever hear again about your life back in the Philippines?" Emma asked.

"I told you enough stories," simple kong sagot.

"Come on, tell me more! I'm so tired of this topic. I can't study anymore," sabi niya at isinara na ang libro.

We're at the library to review for upcoming exams. Kaklase ko si Emma at nagsisimula na akong mainis sa pang-iistorbo niya. She's always one to ask questions!

I sighed. "Ask away," I said, giving in. Babawi na lang ako sa pag-aaral mamayang gabi. Alam ko kasi na guguluhin niya lang ako ngayon.

"Jash didn't know if you ever had a boyfriend when I asked him. But he told me that you used to be with a certain guy? Not a boyfriend... I don't know, your fling?"

I rolled my eyes at her. Ilang beses ko nang sinabi sa kanya na hindi ko gaanong ka-close si Jash noon pero panay pa rin ang tanong niya roon ng tungkol sa akin.

Emma once said that I am so much of a mystery to her. She's very curious about me to the point that she wants to know almost everything!

First day pa lang ng pasok ko sa CU ay nilapitan niya agad ako. She said it's rare for her to see Asian students in the university so she wants to befriend me. Hindi ko alam kung palusot niya lang 'yon dahil nang makaikot ako sa university ay napansin ko na mataas naman ang population ng Asian students.

At first, I thought she was racist. Isang tingin pa lang kasi sa akin ay malalaman agad na Asian ako. What with my chinita eyes and paper white complexion. I was wrong about her, though. She became my first friend. Jash immediately had his own circle of friends. Hanggang ngayon, si Emma pa rin ang pinakamalapit kong kaibigan. And as much as I hate it when she's being nosy about my life, I can't completely hate her because she's really nice to me.

"Am I right? You had a fling? Or maybe..."

Bago pa niya maisatinig ang susunod na sasabihin ay nagsalita na ako.

"He was courting me before. Not a fling, Emma. What the fuck."

"Okay!" she laughed. "What happened to you guys? You've been here for more than a year and I just found out about this right now!"

"It's because I don't want to talk about it. Definitely not with you."

Sinimangutan niya ako pero nanatili pa rin ang kuryosidad sa mukha niya. God, please make Emma shut up.

"Bad break up?"

Umiling ako. "More like a peaceful goodbye," I said.

Tipid akong napangiti. I remember the last time I saw Iain. Sa airport pa 'yon. We never really talked much after I left. We only talk to greet each other during holidays, his birthday and my birthday. I'm fine with it. Ganoon din naman siya. I have dreams to chase and he has his own.

Life away from home is difficult. Ang daming adjustments na pinagdaanan. Ang daming kailangan matutunan.

Sa minsanang bisita ni Daddy ay madalas ang iyak ko sa kanya. I would cry to him about how hard it is to study... about how hard it is to live half a world away from them. The only thing that's pushing me to move forward is the thought that I gave up so many things for me to be here. And in less than two months, I'll graduate.

Ang bilis ng panahon pero kung iisipin, ang daming paghihirap ang pinagdaanan ko. There's the struggle of waking up late to class, the struggle of coping up to a couple of F's, and the struggle of holding my shit together because of the academic pressure.