chapter twenty-seven ; ocean

It was hard. Madej wasn't sure what to think, much like most days.

He wanted to be out there, in the woods. He needed to escape. There had been so much going off; losing people, learning about himself, trying to move on. He needed a day to himself, just to try and get his head back on straight. Things overwhelmed him, and he needed a break.

So there he was, making his way through the woods.

There wasn't much sound in the forest, or not loud enough sounds to reach Madej's hearing aids. If someone or something tried to sneak up on him, his magic would flare up. And if someone was to walk across his path, then he'd hear them in due time.

Blackthorn River was trotting alongside him. With his companion beside him, the wolf would be able to detect danger before it could get close enough to Madej.

Madej walked for what felt like miles and miles. It was peaceful. Sure he came across animals like the deer and rabbits around, but they'd scatter away when Madej made enough noise. He supposed he was lucky he hadn't come across the paths of a bear or mountain lion. Not that they would be able to do any harm to Madej if they tried.

In the distance, he spotted Bella.

Bella had quickly found out about Jacob and the rest of the shifters. She hadn't been impressed with Madej when she found him sitting with Emily at her house, explaining the roots behind a potion his mom had been making. Regardless, Bella had forgiven him, understanding he couldn't tell the tribe's secrets to her, an outsider, a white person.

But Madej was curious as to what Bella was doing. He hadn't really seen her around in the forests, especially not so close to the tribe's land. He wondered what she was doing, and followed after her. He didn't want to spook her by getting too close.

Beside him, Blackthorn River looked uncomfortable.

Madej followed the tracks left by Bella. She was acting weird - weirder than usual - and he was going to try and find out what was going on. She was becoming more reckless, and he was worried about her; he didn't know what she might do. Madej knew about the reckless adrenaline junky type stuff she'd been doing, especially with Jake, finding out exactly what the motorcyclist incident was. Madej hadn't heard any more daring attempts for a rush, so felt the worry increase as he followed after her.

What was she going to do, fight a mountain lion? Take on a bear like Emmett had done in his human life?

He followed the path she'd left through the trees and the overgrown grass. Vaguely, he could hear the waves crashing against the cliff. He noticed that it got louder with every step he took. Fear seeped into his system and he took off at a sprint, running after his friend as quickly as he could. Jacob had told him how Bella had seen the others cliff diving, how it had scared the life out of her - how he'd told her it gave them a rush. She couldn't be so stupid, could she?

Bella was at the edge of the cliff as Madej broke through the forest, and she fell straight off it. "BELLA!" He didn't think, taking a running jump after his friend, off the cliff edge and down into the water. Blackthorn River had remained at the top of the cliff.

It was cold as he fell into the surface, nearly taking the air from his lungs. He twisted around, hair in the way as he looked through the murky water for his friend. He swam over to her and the two broke the surface.

"What the fuck is your problem?" he nearly yelled, and then he realised he hadn't taken his fucking hearing aids out.

They were gone in the ocean. Shit, his mom was gonna be so mad. Hearing aids were expensive.

Bella started trying to say an excuse, and Madej managed to read off her lips that she was being recreational. It was a suicidal way of being recreational.