chapter thirty ; reconcile

Madej was sat on the sidewalk. He had an umbrella perched up, keeping him and Blackthorn River covered. He was thinking back to the hospital again. How awkward it had been when he'd gotten Blackthorn River into the car with Jasper. The entire time, his familiar had been growling at the vampire.

Not that Madej could blame his familiar; he could feel the discomfort from him. It was just a protective thing his familiar had going on. Madej would've done the same if Blackthorn River felt threatened or uncomfortable.

He tried not to think about what Carlisle had said to him, the damning news he'd been given. He'd thought that the cancer was mostly inoperable, where it was in the lining of his stomach. It had to have clumped up - a big enough part available to be removed. Madej didn't like thinking about it, it made him feel sick.

He paused in his spot when he felt something, sensed something coming closer.

"Hey," Jasper said, steps loud in a way that was purposeful. The guy could be quiet when he wanted to be. "Mind if I sit?"

"Go for it," he said, gesturing to the edge of the pavement he was sat on. "What d'you want?" he asked, looking over at him, resting his head on his arms.

Jasper looked at him, like he was trying to find the right words so that Madej wouldn't punt him across the road. "Things haven't gone right, have they?"

"Nah. Don't think they have." he replied, feeling sad and wondering how Jasper felt about all of it. "Thought you knew that life wasn't fair? You've been around long enough to know that."

"Funny," the vampire said, a sad smile on his face. "Whereas you haven't been around long enough."

"Do you know why I was in hospital for so long? Aside from the whole puking thing at school?" Jasper shook his head, minute changes in his expression. "So Carlisle really didn't tell you guys, huh? Well. The cancer advanced. Apparently Carlisle managed to cut a bit out, which is weird since I thought it was kinda inoperable. On the lining it is anyway, so it must be one chunky boy to be cut out."

"Rambling," Jasper pointed out.

"Fuck off. Basically, I don't have long left. They initially thought I had five years left, but I guess after Carlisle saw all the damage inside, he and the others have figured out I have a year left. Maybe two, if I'm lucky. Not that lucky though, am I? So I have solidly decided to not bother applying for college. Not gonna live long enough if I were gonna go do the course I wanted to do."

Jasper looked like he wanted to reach over to hold Madej. He didn't want to do anything that Madej didn't want. Madej sighed a little before he moved over, close enough so that their arms were pressed together. He rested his head on Jasper's shoulder, and could feel the way that Jasper tensed under his touch.

"Gloves?"

"Fixed my powers. Got them under control, which is funny because I'm dying. However," he closed his umbrella and pointed his finger upwards and the light rain stopped falling on them, leaving them in a small circle, rain free. "My focus has gotten better, so I can do stuff like this without puking blood. Turns out I only puke blood for cancer now."

"Aren't you full of surprises?"

"Yeah, well, you would've known if you'd stayed," he said, knowing it was a harsh jab. "Whatever, I'm over it. Kinda. Maybe."

Jasper sighed. "I've never regretted anything more. You were right when you yelled at us."

"I'm always right, didn't you know?" He cleared his throat, hoping he wouldn't throw up. "You guys fucked up, but we can't exactly change the past. 'Sides, I'm at the point where I don't care anymore."