chapter twenty-one ; façade

"Shit."

Madej wasn't fond of waking up. Lately, he'd rarely been getting sleep. He couldn't really remember the last time he had a good amount of sleep. He didn't like thinking about what he had back then. It looked like he was back to his regular schedule of insomnia. Fantastic.

He checked the time. It was four in the morning.

Madej lazed around, watching videos on his laptop until he had to get up and get washed and dressed for school.

The days had started to feel the same. He didn't want to get into a loop like that. It had been similar to how he'd been when Zeke had died, but this felt ... less extreme in a way. Zeke had been there his whole life, but he wasn't there now. It was different because Jasper was still out there in the world, and had been the biggest asshole when he broke Madej's heart.

He would not let a broken heart get in the way of all the things he wanted to do. With or without Jasper, he was strong. He could look after himself. He had dealt with horrors, and now that his supposed mate wasn't there ... well, he was still dealing in his own way. He'd lost a brother, losing a boyfriend was nothing in comparison.

"Ready?" Benedict asked, swinging his car keys around on his finger. Madej could feel the way Benedict tried to probe into his mind, trying to see if Madej was thinking anything negative.

"Yeah." The two went into Benedict's crappy second hand car. He tried to smile at his brother, let him know that he was dealing.

Once the engine started, Queen started blaring out of the speakers. Madej winced, and his favourite music was ruined because of Jasper. Whatever. He would reclaim the music in his own way, let it connote itself to something better, happier.

It was just a break up. (But it still tore Madej in half.)

"Tell you what, you're dealing better than Bella."

"I'm a witch. I'm used to the supernatural. She's a normal human. Not to mention Edward is, like, the first person to show love and care to Bella. She was used to taking care of people, and then Edward did it for her." Madej knew Bella was taking it hard, harder than he was.

Madej had seen her over the past few weeks. She was catatonic.

Everyday, at school, Madej had to pretend like things hadn't been put upside down. He spent time with Angela and the others. He'd smile and laugh and joke, and things felt normal. Things were normal. They hadn't been filled with the supernatural as much as they used to be before.

"Why's Bella being ... like that?" Jessica asked one lunch. They glanced over, and Bella was sitting at the old Cullen lunch table.

"She's trying to deal. It was her first real, serious relationship, and then Edward just ... did her dirty. I mean, Carlisle got a good job elsewhere, and they all kept it a secret, and Edward was-was not the best when telling her." Madej shrugged a shoulder, frowning at his chips before he offered them to Mike. "Give her time."

"It's been weeks, though," Jessica said, looking over at Madej. "You're not doing whatever she's doing."

Madej shrugged. "I've been through more extreme losses. A boyfriend being a dick while breaking up with me doesn't hit as hard. Plus it's just been a rough year for me, so I have to take it in stride."

Angela frowned at him, and the look in her eyes told him she wanted to know exactly what Jasper had said. He'd tell her later, maybe. She'd probably have to corner him and get him to tell her.

"Oh, yeah. Maniac dad burning your house down. Dead brother too," Mike said, and Eric did Madej a favour by elbowing Mike for his ineptitude.

"Thanks, Mike. Not like I've just had my first birthday without him, and his anniversary is this month." Madej gave him a thumbs up and a fake smile.