Chapter 67: You've Earned It

Rachel's POV

I reach under my pillow for my phone as my alarm blares in my ear. I turn it off only to see a plethora of text and missed calls. One that sticks out is from my mother. She even left a voicemail.

"Happy Birthday Rachel. I know we don't always see eye to eye on certain things but I want you to know that I'm thinking about you on your special day. You're another year older, and hopefully wiser. One day I hope we can fully rebuild our relationship. Anyways, have a good day."

I can hold grudges forever, but when it comes to my family I have a hard time doing so. I don't know what it is, but I'm happy to have received happy birthday wishes from them today.

I walk into work and I join the others in the meeting room.

"Happy Birthday", Avery says giving me a hug.

"Thanks Av."

"Happy Birthday Rach. Are the plans for tonight still the same?", Jacob questions.

"What plans?"

Avery looks over at him.

"Oh my bad", he says catching on.

"I'll be right with you all. Rachel can you come with me?", Mia says peaking her head through the door.

I follow her, "What's this about?"

She looks down at her phone, walking briskly. "The senator requested your presence. Just knock on her door and go in", she says as she closes her own office door.

I knock and I hear Jenn tell me to come in. When I open the door I see her sitting behind her desk with a lit cupcake in her hand. 

"Happy Birthday Rachel."

I smile, "Thank you so much,"

"Well make a wish", she says looking at the flame in front of her. 

I close eyes and think of something I really want. Once I think of it I blow the candle out and Jenn takes a swipe of frosting with her finger. She brings it up to her mouth, "I hope it comes true."

I smile at her, "Me too. Hey I thought the cupcake was mine."

She smirks, "So 23?"

"Yeah. Is that still awkward for you?"

"Honestly I try not to think about it." She gets up and locks door.

When she gets up I make myself comfortable in her chair.

She turns around, "What are you doing?"

"I've always been a little curious what it felt like", I admit.

"Hmm you do look good behind that desk."

"Who knows, one day I might take your job Senator."

"I wouldn't doubt that." "So I have a gift for you. It's just something small."

"Oh yeah?"

"Bottom drawer to right", she says leaning against her desk.

I open the drawer and pull out a beautifully wrapped gift. "Red my favorite color", I say examining her wrapping skills.

"Oh My God Jenn I love it." From the box I pull out a lesbian pride apple watch band.

"I had it custom made. You were right. There isn't much lesbian pride merchandise."