Chapter 86: The Great Debate

Avery's POV

"Isn't Rachel supposed to be in this meeting? Where is she we have to start", Nina says.

I flip through my notes,"Yes she's probably just with the Senator."

"Why would she be with the Senator? We we're told she's off limits today."

"I uh-um I think she had something important to run by her."

Nina stops and looks at me, "Avery do you know something that I don't? Maybe why Rachel is always around the Senator when she has no more authority than us?"

I gulp and laugh nervously, "No."

"I just think it's strange that Senator Abner always finds the time to magically meet with her."

Nina looks at me but I don't respond.

"If you couldn't stand a person you wouldn't want to be around them so much. Something is going on and I'm going to figure it out", Nina says looking determined.

Oh boy.

**********

Rachel's POV

"Hey babe. I have that report you requested ready", I say handing Jenn a folder full of pertinent information for her debate tonight.

"Babe huh?"

"Yeah would you like me to call you sugar tits instead?"

"Actually yes", she says smiling into our kiss.

We hear a knock at the door and we quickly separate.

"Come in."

"Hi just your weekly flower delivery", Mia says placing them on Jenn's desk. "Oh and David called and he will be running a few minutes late."

"Thanks Mia."

Once Mia leaves the room Jenn turns her attention to the flowers on her desk. "Are you going to tell me what this arrangement symbolizes? It's been a few months and it hasn't changed. I don't think that's a coincidence."

"I will when I think it's the right time."

"Hmmm."

"What?"

"You know I'm not fond of surprises."

"You like surprising everyone else but when it comes to you, you just have to be in the know. Sounds like a control freak if you ask me", I say smiling. "Just promise you won't google it before I get the chance to tell you."

She smiles, "Sure." Her phone rings and she rolls her eyes.

"Yes David?"

"Ok"

"Yeah sure."

She sighs, "That man is going to drive me nuts by the end of this."

I laugh, "I like him, he's just doing his job."

"Well if you like him I guess I have to keep him around. There's not many people you actually enjoy."

"True, but you're still just salty he gave you a reality check."

"Hardly."

"Jenn the private jet was a bit tone deaf. If I hadn't become one of your groupies I probably would have realized that and called you out on it."