Chapter Six. (Back to Silverpaw)

Silverpaw felt stupid.  He had actually thought that he would be able to talk.  They were on a patrol! They were supposed to quietly set the boundaries and check the borders.  But every timeI glanced at Frostpaw she was always looking back. 

  Then they would both look away quickly.  But he felt this tingling in his paws.  He figured it was just allergies.  He would go to Petalleaf after this.  But was it allergies he thought.  

 He shook away the thought when they passed the gorge.  

The gorge terrified Silverpaw.  If you fell you would die from the impact.  And you would get run over by monsters.  Eagleclaw said "that if you got run over multiple times." Then you wouldn't be able to go to Starclan.  

Silverpaw didn't know if he was telling the truth or not.  But he had no intention to find out. But Thorntail dashed right up to the edge and yelled at the Riverclan side "that's right I'm a warrior and you better not fight me." 

 Littlepelt shrieked for her brother to get away from the edge.  And tried to run toward him but Cardinalfeather pulled her back.  

But Silverpaw noticed that Cardinalfeather looked worried as well.  "Thorntail" he said slowly.  Then the worst possible thing that could happen happened.  "What is that" Wildshine said slowly.  "It looks like a flying monster" 

Woodwhisker meowed.  It did look like one  Silverpaw thought.  Except it had no circles under that all monsters had.  Thorntail hadn't spotted it yet.  He was slowly edging away from the gorge.  

But then he saw and it looked like it was coming right for us. And then what happened next was a blur.  But once the flying monster had past there was no Thorntail.  

Cardinalfeather immediately "said we needed to go down and save him from the monsters."  While  Littlepelt just stood there in shock looking at the spot were he had been.  Silverpaw just found himself looking over the edge he saw a Twoleg  get out of a monster and look down at what must of been Thorntail.  

He then remembered what Eagleclaw said "will he go to Starclan" he asked.  "Of course Wildshine meowed you didn't believe Eagleclaw did you."  Silverpaw still wasn't sure though he smelled fear and doubt coming from everybody.  "We won't be able to get the body Frostpaw said timidly.  The Twoleg took it away."

"What" Cardinalfeather roared.  He stormed off.  "He never got to sit vigil."  Littlepelt murmured who had been silent up until then.  Woodwhisker murmured something in Littlepelt's ear.  Littlepelt shot him a grateful look. 

 "We should head back and tell the clan the bad news."  Wildshine said. "May Starclan be with you Thorntail."  She dipped her head towards the gorge.  We all said this.  But then Littlepelt unexpectedly meowed "can I stay here for a while." "Of course."  

Woodwhisker meowed.  "Just be careful"  he said.  Once they got back.  Everybody could immediately tell something was wrong.  Then Pineshadow and Olivecloud meowed in union "where are my kits?"   There was a awkward silence and then Woodwhisker muttered "Thorntail is dead." Pineshadow just stood there then walked away saying "no,no,no,no,no." 

 "Then where are the others" Olivecloud asked.  "Cardinalfeather stormed off and Littlepelt is still there."  "How did he die Pineshadow asked a hero?  Why don't you have the body?"  Wildshine replied "a hero he saved Frostpaw from falling off the gorge but he fell himself."  "Yes Frostpaw said a little too quickly he saved me."  

Pineshadow had walked away again.  "We'll have to tell that story to Cardinalfeather and Littlepelt."   Silverpaw mewed.  "Yes it will be tough but we can't let Pineshadow think that her son died a rabbit-brain like he actually did."  

Woodwhisker sighed.  When Silverpaw went to sleep that night after the he got back from the vigil and only the cats that had known him really well were still there.  Cardinalfeather hadn't showed up yet though which was worrisome.  But when he went to sleep he got a vision....