Hate

"Haa. Guess that's it for tonight." Haru said as he rubbed his shoulder while walking towards their car. They saw the lights on their target's house are off. Their target must have slept now.

"Yes." Daisuke nodded and followed Haru to the car. He opened the car's door on his side, only to pause. He raised his head and looked across the car. His eyes on Haru. "Do you..." he said and stopped. He stared at Haru's side profile. Haru was looking at the river, the lights from the buildings on the riverside and the lights from the bride and the cars reflected on the cold and dark water, looking like sparkling diamonds. Like stars on the night sky.

The wind blew and swept up Haru's hair locks, giving Daisuke a better look of Haru's face. "Hm?" Haru turned and saw Daisuke was looking at him. "Did you say something?" He asked.

Daisuke didn't answer for a while as he stared at Haru. Then, he spoke. "Do you want to drink?" He asked.

"... ha?" Haru said as he stood straight from leaning on the car. "You are inviting me for a drink?" He asked.

Daisuke nodded. "Yes." He answered.

Haru stared at Daisuke who was also staring at him. "Are we drinking on those five-star restaurants?" He asked.

"Do you want to?" Daisuke asked.

Haru's eyes widened. "Hell, no!" He answered as he frowned. "Those places are stifling." He said.

"Then, you choose the place." Daisuke said.

"Why don't we just buy snacks and drinks, then go back here to drink?" Haru suggested.

Daisuke looked at the empty river bank. "Depends on you." He said.

"Then, I'll go and buy on the nearest convenience store." Haru said.

"Yes - " Daisuke nodded. However, Haru already left. Daisuke walked to the riverbank and sat on the grass, dirtying his milllion-dollar pants. However, he doesn't care. He just stared at the dark water before him as he waited for Haru to come back.

He already realized it himself. He likes Haru Kato. And tonight, he plans to confess. However, he is afraid of what Haru might react. Will he be disgusted?

He didn't have time to think more as Haru came back and handed him his drink. Then, Haru sat by his side and opened his can, then drank. "Ah! That felt good!" Haru exclaimed as he drank.

"Haru Kato." Daisuke called.

"Hm? What is it?" Haru said as he turned to him.
Daisuke turned and looked at Haru's flushed face.

"I like you." He told him. He was never roundabout towards things. Thus, he directly confessed.

Haru's eyes widened, then he smiled. "Daisuke Kambe. I - " he said.

"I hate you." Haru's cold voice broke Daisuke's a moment of fantasy. Daisuke raised his head and saw Haru holding a bag of snacks and drinks. Haru was glaring at him, his eyes filled with hate.

"Haru Kato." He called as he stood up and faced Haru.

Haru frowned as he looked at Daisuke. "What nonsense is this?" He asked.

"This is not nonsense. I like you." Daisuke straightforwardly said.

Haru wants to berate him when he paused. He saw Daisuke's serious face. "Well, I don't. I don't like you, so stop whatever thoughts you have towards me." He told Daisuke and turned his back on him. He walked away.

"Why?" Daisuke asked.

Haru stopped and turned. "Didn't i just say it? I hate you." He answered. "I don't like you looking down on everything just because you are rich. I don't like it when you solve the case through money - slapping your money to people's faces. I don't like it when you think you can buy justice! Do you think everything will be solved just because you have money?!" He asked. "I hate you!"

"You hate me because I am rich?" Daisuke asked, getting the point in Haru's words.

"Not only that." Haru answered.

'Not only that', meaning there are more. Daisuke thought. "Then, what?" He asked.

"I hate your arrogance. I hate your selfishness! I hate how you are so indifferent towards everything!" Haru answered. "I hate you." He told him, then walked away.

"Then - " Daisuke said. " - if I'd change my ways, my attitude... will you like me back?" He asked. However, he didn't get an answer. Either Haru didn't hear him, or he chose to ignore him.