Gaze

(A/N: guess this is the last chapter. I am already sleepy. I broke my record – which is sleeping at 9 PM, after a whole day work. Anyways, I hope you’d like this last chapter. P.S.: if you had read my other fanfics (mostly MDZS), you’d know I write extra chaps at the end. XD Edit: this wouldn’t be the last chapter.)

Haru doesn’t know why but when he returned to the police department after investigating the port alone, he felt everyone’s stare on him. However, when he looked at them, they immediately look away from him and act talking to someone beside them even if it’s a plant, a plaque, or a wall. Someone even talked to a monitor.

Haru ignored them and continued walking towards their office. However, on his way he met Hoshino. Like the others, Hoshino stared at him. But, his gaze is different. Unlike others who looked at him with bewildered and disbelieving gazes, Hoshino looked at him with a curious gaze. “W-what?” Haru stammered. “What’s with that look?” he asked, his tone becoming impatient. “You, too?” he said. “What’s going on today?” he frowned.

Hoshino blinked and stopped staring at him. “What?” he said. “You didn’t know?” he said, surprised.

“About what?” Haru asked.

“A new person will be joining your team.” Hoshino answered.

Haru’s brows raised in surprise. “Really? Who?” he asked.

“I don’t know. Why are you asking me? I don’t work in your department.” Hoshino answered.

“Oh.” Haru muttered. “Then, what about Dai-“ he said, then stopped.

“What about what?” Hoshino said, his tone becoming impatient. Seeing Haru didn’t speak, he waved his hand. “I’m leaving.” He told him. He didn’t wait for Haru to react before he immediately left. As if something is chasing him. “Whew.” He muttered and wiped the sweat off his forehead. “He’s really an idiot. He didn’t notice I changed the subject to divert his attention. Will he be alright?” He asked, worried.

“Sempai will be fine.” Hoshino’s junior in work answered. “I think.” He added and grimaced.

“Pft-“ Hoshino laughed and they left. The others also finally went back to resume their work.

They didn’t notice that some idiot whom they thought is oblivious actually is sharp today. “How does that relate to me?” Haru muttered, referring to what Hoshino told him about someone new in their department. He sighed and boarded the elevator. Then, he opened the folder to read and took out a pen to mark the suspicious places in the photos of the port he investigated.

“Please wait a moment – “ a voice spoke and entered the elevator.

“Yeah.” Haru just said, his eyes on the photos as he carefully marked them.

The elevator’s doors closed. It was only two of them inside the silent space. The person turned his head and craned his neck a little to see what Haru was busying himself with.

He didn’t even noticed it was me. Daisuke thought and helplessly sighed as he peeked at Haru’s side profile. This guy… did he really miss me? He thought and smiled a little. “Inspector Kato is so hardworking.” He said, praising his crush. “No moment can be wasted for him.” He said.

“Huh? Yeah.” Haru absent-mindedly nodded, didn’t clearly hear what Daisuke has said. He was scrutinizing the photos and the suspects’ statements.

Daisuke noticed Haru’s absent-minded reply. He turned and saw Haru’s serious expression. His heart can’t help but skip a beat, then beat faster. How many times had he been secretly watching him from the side? He thought as he remembered the first time they sat side by side. It was during their trip in Hongkong and they sat on the backseat. However, even if they were too close to each other, Haru was still not looking at him.

Daisuke already investigated Haru’s work. That time, he realized he wanted to know more about Haru – not only in their work. He realized, he wanted to be gazed at by Haru – even just once. He wanted to be reflected in Haru’s eyes.

Those eyes that were brimming with vitality, completely opposite of his lifeless eyes.

(A/N: false alarm. I really thought this'd be the last chap. Guess the fun still continues? 😂😂😂)