saved by danny

it was friday the 13th and we had just finished binging all of the movies, after the whole Exorcist fiasco i had been slowly easing Dom onto the gere, and by 4 am wed finished the entire franchise. we had split off into your separate rooms. in no time id fallen asleep under you grey comforter, mercury sat on the pillow beside me and occasionally wacked me square in the face with his tail. the fairy lights illuminating the large Exorcist poster above me bed lit up me room with a soft comfortable glow. the door was open and i could see it from the nest i had created under your covers. 

Mercury wacked me again, and the little tickle of his tail under my nose woke me up. 

"youre a fuckin stupid cat" i whispered to him "Its a good thing youre so danged cute." i stroked his head and nuzzled his little face with my own. "Arent you just precious, Arent you just the cutest, most adorable, little kitty witty in all of the know universe?" i cooed and he began to purr "Yes you a-" a shadow in the doorway scared me out of my trance. i reached into my bedside drawer slowly and pulled out a pink hello kitty switchblade not taking my eyes away from the figure in the hall. 'always be prepared' was my motto, and i made sure to follow it. 

"What the actual fuck are you doing?" Dom asked, at the sound of the knife flipping open. "IS THAT A KNIFE?!" he whisper-shouted. 

"uh no..." i said, putting the knife back into the drawer and closing it. "Whats up love?" i asked very inconspicuously. 

i patted the place next to me and he slowly maneuvered his way over plopping down on the bed, just below where i was now sitting criss cross. He groaned and fell into me, laying his head ever so delicately in my lap. Out of pure muscle memory i began to entangle my fingers in his hair. "Talk to me bub" 

"I dont know man, i was fine all the while we were watching the movie but once i was alone all these thoughts came rushing into my head." He said, playing with the ties on my black jumper. "I imagined Jason in my room, in your room. man i fuckin hate my mind."

"Alright, imma teach you something ok, love?" this was something i felt equipped to deal with because id had really bad intrusive thoughts all through my childhood. "Were going to make Jason funny, ok?"i continued.

"OK?" he replied. "but how the hell do you do that?" 

"Ok, uuuuh think about what you think jason looks like under the mask, is it scary, is it gross?" i started, Dom turned over and faced away from me, i turned to the same side, using one hand to hold up my head and the other i laid protective across doms middle. 

"Hes fuckin scary as shit" he said quietly, "But how the hell is this gonna help?" 

"Trust me. now, really picture his face, and imagine every detail."  this is where in gets good, "Now picture every detail, morphing into Danny Devito's face." this unexpected turn, had Dom laughing breathily.

"What the fuck, uh ok?" He said, i could hear the smile in his voice. 

"This might be a bit much at first but hang in there and trust me, picture one of the scenes where Jason comes into my room. but change Jasons height in your head, how tall is danny devito?" i asked, genuinely not sure.

"4" 10" Dom said, not missing a beat. 

"Of course you know," i said sarcastically, "Ok, imagine jason shrunk down to 4" 10, damn hes short. ok, Jason, in my room but hes the size of a third grader, and hes wearing his mask, but remember, i have a knife, so im not really in any danger." Dom turned to me.

"You said that wasnt a knife you little psycho." Dom laughed.

"that was a lie." i said and went on, "Ok, so 10 year old jason reaches up and removes his mask, but wait! hes not a third grader! hes a very short, very 75 year old man!" i whisper yell in dramatized surprise, hugging Dom to my chest for added effect. 

"pftttt fookin hell aight" he laughed quietly. once he had settled a bit he reached up and held onto your arm. "i love you" he whispered. 

"I love you too dingus. now on with the story, i immediately realize who it is! and i squeal, confused you some running into the room, also recognizing danny and squealing along with me. then we have a really great chat with danny devito and everything ends happily ever after. the end" i finished with a flourish. 

"Thats amazing." dom adds. 

"i kow i am" i say, using the hand i had over doms middle to push a strand of my bright green hair behing my ear "Alright, now whenever you have that image in your mind, think of danny." 

"Ok, ill try." he replied.

"Alright love, lets go to bed now," i said, checking my clock, 6:14 am. fuck i had work in the morning, "while we still can." 

Dom turned to face my and i placed a gentle kiss on his forehead, he rested his messy hair into the crook of my neck and drifted into slumber. 

i loved the little dork next to you, he meant everything and i felt so grateful that i could protect him. my eyelids fell heavy and both of us faded into dreamland.