Chapter 1

Lover

Max just woke up from his much deserved sleep after that heavy case against the youngest man from the most powerful family in their province. He looked at the time and it's already 6AM. He missed the 4AM breakfast.

Breakfast is one of the things that he always look forward to. Hot coffee or chocolate to start the day and a plate of scrumptious food. He always have it during 4AM but today he missed his breakfast time. He just stood up and prepared himself for the day.

After taking a shower, he checked his phone and saw that there are no messages for him in his personal phone then he looked at his other phone and threats hasn't stopped yet even after the case. He drove off and just before he turn his car out of the block, he slowed down and saw the mother and daughter again that lives there. He loves seeing the kid and the mother every morning before he leaves the village.

When he reached his office, a lot of the employees and other lawyers congratulated him for the success of the case yesterday. His secretary greeted him and followed him. Max narrated everything he needed him to do. There's nothing much to do with the day.

He went to Marco's office and he was welcome by his wife Emily who is about to leave.

"Good morning to the most famous lawyer in town today." She greeted him and smiled.

He smirked, "I think I'll be gone tomorrow morning with all the threats I'm receiving now."

"Hindi 'yan. Take a break muna, Max. Or better yet, find a lady that will make you slow down on things! Have a life naman." Emily said and grinned.

"Nahawa ka na sa asawa mo, Emily." He settled himself at the couch inside Marco's office.

"Hindi naman. Just stating facts. Sayang ang genes mo, super daddy pa man din ang looks mo." Emily looked at her watch and saw that she'll be running late if she keeps on suggesting things with the man that never listens to anyone.

"I better go or I'll be late for my first class." Emily said and left.

He waited for his best friend who's in the comfort room. Max checked his phone and smiled when someone texted him. He replied right away and put his phone to sleep.

"How's life?" Marco said when he came out of his comfort room.

"Still breathing though. Threats just worsen." He said. Marco sat at the single sitter sofa beside him.

"You better listen to your Mom. Go to America and take a leave for a month. C'mon, Max. We know the Del Montes, they won't stop." Marco reminded him.

"America is too far. I still have cases that are on going and one month is too long. " He said and looked at his phone again.

"Kahit one week lang. Pahinga ka lang. You know what, if you don't love your life..." Marco looked at his phone, "Think about the lady that makes you smile. I'm sure she cares for you and she loves you."

"What are you talking about? You're talking nonsense, Marco." He said and kept his phone out of his sight.

Marco just shrugged his shoulders, "You really don't listen to anyone."

"Just gives us a heads up if you'll be taking the leave." He added.

"If there's one thing I hate about this profession are the death threats. Gagawa sila ng mga kagaguhan sa buhay tapos kapag nahuli at nakulong kasalanan pa ng mga abogado yung mga tangina." Max ranted.

A couple of years ago, Max didn't really care about the threats and everything that he does inside and outside the court. He was fearless. He still is, but Marco can sense that something had really change within him. He still doesn't listen to anyone though, not even to his own parents but Marco knows that he listens to someone and that someone has made a great impact in his life.