Chapter Nine

There was a meeting on Floor 56 about the plan to defeat the next boss. "We're gonna use the npcs to lure it to us." You said, slamming your hand on the table. "Wh-what?!" Kirito exclaimed. "I'm sorry, but I'm not okay with that. I'm a solo-" "I don't care who or what you think. I'm a solo player too. Do you think that I wanna work with a group of people? No, we have to do what we can to kill the boss and get out of here." You said, glaring at him with angry eyes. "Npcs are people too! Just like us!" Kirito said. "Do you really think that? The npcs are just computer generated people. They can just respawn, unlike us. I'm sure you're all familliar with that by now. I was appointed to lead this raid party to kill the boss, so you will listen to what I say... Whether you like it or not."

You furrowed your eyebrows in furstration. That idiot. "What's up with you and y/n? You've been going at it the whole meeting. You're always getting at it, and not in the good way." Agil said to Kirito. "I don't know." He sighed. "I guess we just don't click. I told her she could be strong on her own after we killed the first floor boss. Didn't think everyone would end up depending on her to lead raid parties." Kirito said scratching his cheek and chuckling awkwardly.

You were walking on a dirt path, heading towards the battlegrounds to level until you saw Kirito lying down under a tree... taking a nap. You scoffed and walked over to him. You hopped the fence and leaned your butt against it. "Are you seriously taking a nap right now? You know, everyone's working their-" "Did you know that Aincrad's weather is at it's optimal setting? If you would lay down and relax, you would understand." Kirito interupted you. Shocked by his reaponse, you decided to sit down next to him. You looked up at the sky. The tree's leaves and branched above you swayed as the wind blew them. The sunlight shone threw the leaves and hit your face and body, giving you warmth. Kirito turned his head and looked over his shoulder, staring at your beauty. He admired how you soaked up all of nature's gifts. You yawned and began to lay down, causing Kirito to look away, scared he might get caught staring. You both drifted off to sleep under the tree, basking in the sunlight.

Kirito woke up first. "Look at those too lazy asses... Taking a nap while everyone's working their asses off.." A couple of guys snickered as they saw you sleeping and Kirito yawning amd stretching. He looked back at you, smiling as he saw you relax. Ever since that time in the restaurant, you and Kirito haven't spoken. Not that you were completely ignoring each other, it was just because you guys didn't make time to talk or hang out. You were too busy trying to get stronger while he was doing the same thing. He sighed and got up, sitting on the stone wall across from you and the tree, absorbing the warmth from the sun.

You finally woke up, drool dripping from the side of your mouth and grass marks on your cheek. You groaned and sat up. Where am I? You were confused and lost, forgetting what you were doing there. Your tired gaze travelled and saw a man with a black coat sitting on the stone wall. You blinked as you processed what was happening. "Good morning, sleepyhead." Kirito smiled at you. "E-Eh?!" You grabbed the handle of your sword on your back, ready to kill him. He got scared and jumped on the other side of the wall, peeking his head up to see why he wasn't stabbed yet. "One meal." You said. He stood up slowly. "I'll treat you to one meal as payback for watching me as I slept." You continued and let go of your sword and crossing your arms while blushing.

You sat down at a café as you waited for your food, drinking a cup of tea. You refrained from meeting Kirito's gaze by keeping your eyes closed. "Thank you." You said suddenly, covering your blush with your cup. You put your cup down and looked out the window as the sun was still setting, leaving the sky an orange and purple color. "Even in safezones, you can still get killed when you're unconcious. Duals are the only way to even hurt a player's hp in a safzone, but only if both parties accept. When unconcious or unawar, a player can easily manipulate your finger into accepting a dual and you get killed right then and there." Kirito explained. You nodded in agreement. You and Kirito heard whispers and snickers about you and him sitting together. "That's the Black Shadow. She's so cute... But what's Kirito doing with a girl like her?" A vein popped out as you began to become irritated. Suddenly, you and Kirito heard a loud scream, causing both of you to shoot up and look around. You ran out of the café to search for the scene.