Chapter 7

Dani didn't ask any more about Roanoke island, but he did learn about other things. He, for lack of a better word, bonded with Dra, over things that really shouldn't matter.

Like school, (Dra was nineteen and had graduated high school, before going on to become part of the village's community.) people, (Dra didn't like them much either.) favorite movie, (Suicide Squad, while Dani was a stark Marvel defender.) and strange things they liked(Dra's was anime, something Dani neither hated, nor loved. She vowed to change that). It was a kind of peace between them, something normal in the sea of crazy.

"Anyway, you need to read up on your mythology. I have some books to help you get started to understand our world." Dra said, laying on her back. "I'll teach you the main ones later." She glanced at Dani's hand, at the deep cut that was now bandaged with white medical tape.

"It's good, thanks." Dani said from beside her, looking at her.

"Glad to hear that, little one." Dra said, hauling herself up into a sitting position. "Now, I'm gonna show something that you'll what to know, just to piss Zaza off. If you want to, of course." Dra gave a little smirk.

"Oh, yes." Dani sat up straighter, watching Dra intently.

"When Silver Mages are seen in the Mage populace, we often are in what we call our half shift, or partial origin. So, today, I'll try to teach you that. It's pretty simple, even for you." Dra said.

"So, what do I do?" Dani asked.

"Copy me." Dra said. "Close your eyes, and relax. Relax your shoulders and your focus on yourself, on that power that you have. It's different for everyone, like for me and Zaza, it's an act of harnessing our rage, and for someone like Chusi," Dra practically spit the name. "It's harnessing her emotions."

Dani was a little confused by what she meant, because he didn't know about any power that he had, and that was pretty powerless in itself.
He wasn't strong, he wasn't in control of his actions half the time, he had no self-control, no sense of how to rage well or acceptably. The only thing Dani really had going for himself was his brain.

But he was smart, yes? He was. He didn't even try half the time, but he passed all his classes with flying colors. And Señora was always how powerful the mind was. How knowledge was a great power that destroyed any enemy.

That could be his power. His mind. There was always a god of wisdom, in every pantheon Dani had ever heard of.

Pin pricks of pain made Dani wince, but he felt the horrible itch resolve itself, his irritated skin soothed and calmed.

"Shit!" Dra crowed for the second time that day. "Dani, look!" she hissed

Slowly, Dani opened his eyes, and nearly gasped. He could see every pore in Dra's face, and every single little movement of the wind in her hair. "Dani, look at your hands." Dra hissed, her own slited eyes, flitting over him.

He swallowed, feeling his Adam's apple bob in his throat, but not as much as he'd expected. Raising his hand up to his eyes, he beheld the glorious red scales that had sprung from his skin, from the many plaques around his body. He touched his navel, only to discover it was circled with hard scales as well.

Dani grinned broadly, and felt sharp, little fangs touch his bottom lip.

"Damn, Dani. That is impressive."

"So, you've made some progress." Zammi looked sleepy and tired, her brown eyes heavy lidded and fatigued. "I'm proud." She looked like she was going to fall asleep right then and there.

"Thank you Zammi." Dani said, looked a little awkward at the exhausted woman in front of him. When she noticed his discomfort, she roused herself, and was suddenly very awake.