Chapter 18

Falk waited on his perch for Seth, who had yet to return. The perch was built into the stone wall of the cave that was the temporary home base for Seth's wife, Ariel.

He actually hated his perch. It was demeaning. It implied that no matter what, Falk was always going to be no more than a bird. Just a zhenniao who had killed the King, but Seth still got all the credit.

Not that Falk mind much.

Ariel, Seth's mate, curled up and kissed her engorged belly, smiling. Her chestnut hair splayed out on her pillow, but Falk couldn't have cared less what she looked like. He let out an annoyed 'craw' and shifted uncomfortably. She was pregnant, as everyone knew, with Seth's child. Seth had told Falk many times since they started scheming, that he wished to make a better world for Ariel. But the timetable had moved up once she'd announced her pregnancy.

Falk didn't care much for sentiment. A new child, a new world, yes, it was fitting, but unpractical. Seth, however, loved the idea. He'd pushed the timing and now they lacked the allies they needed to win easily.

"You know, I don't care of you transform." Ariel announced, surprising Falk a little bit. "You've known me for long enough. I trust you." Her voice was full of compassion and love, like her joy was something she could project onto others.

"I'm glad." Falk croaked. If a human voice from a bird unnerved Ariel, she didn't show it. "But I don't think Seth will like it."

"Seth has no say." Ariel replied boldly. Falk chuckled, sounding like he'd just swallowed a toad, and he couldn't get it out of his throat.

Hopping to the ground, he uncoiled that tight line of control from around the mental hitching post he'd tied it to, and let himself transform back to human.

Falk was handsome, in the way that evil always is. His dark black hair was feathery, and it almost appeared green in the light. His beady black eyes had been replaced by curved, flint-sharp ones. His skin was tanned from the sun, but what veins that were visible ran an unnatural green color, like summer grass. He crossed his arms, grabbing up his dark shorts and putting them on.

"So. What do you want to know?" Falk said. Ariel was always trying to set him up.

"No, this is what you need to know. I found a Druid ne-"

"Ariel, no." Seth walked in, covered in blood. Ariel wrinkled her nose, but Falk didn't dare react.

The smell of blood wasn't uncommon these days, as many people didn't trust in Seth. He had to deal with them elsewhere. "The Druids are staying peaceful." He scrubbed at his eyes. "As are the werewolves. Bastards."

"We're lucky they're not moving against us, my love." Ariel cautioned.

"So, it's just the waiting game, eh?" Falk asked, the silence becoming awkward quickly. "See who breaks first."

"I'm running out of soldiers to fight." Seth snapped. "Sooner or later, it's going to be us who breaks, Falk. I don't have a solution."

"There's nothing I can really do about that." Falk told him. "I told you that-"

"I don't care about your analysis!" Seth snapped

"What about all the Mages outside of Ireland? Back home, in other Silver Lands." Ariel questioned, her eyes narrowed. "They're loyal to us. Why not use them?"

"All the people they can spare are here, Ariel." Seth said, rubbing his jaw. "There's no more troops."

"So? Legal age of battle is sixteen, by Silver Law."