Chapter 20

"Silver Mages?" Amber gasped, finally dressed in blue leggings and a lemon-yellow shirt. "Here?"

"Yeah. They had tracked us using leviathans and something called a qiqirn, if you know what that is."

"I do." Amber rubbed her arms again, like she could feel the chill the name brought. "They're a type of Silver Mage called galapado. They can't shift like we do, so they're considered basically animals. Qiqirn bring a feeling of cold, and they can cause anyone in the vicinity to have violent shaking fits."

"So, they're the lowest of the low." Dani said quietly. Amber nodded.

"It's horrible, honestly. They're often used as exotic pets for some..." Amber trailed off, like she wasn't supposed to say something.

"Silver Mages?" Dani completing her sentence, feeling a new level of hatred sink into his bones.

"No. Humans." Amber grimaced.

"What?" Dani snapped. "Humans? They know of the existence of Mages?"

"Only a few, and usually it a secret passed down from family to family. It's a very hidden thing. Mostly because they would sound crazy if they told everyone how every well know magical creature existed." Dani had to agree that it did sound crazy.

"That sounds like we've failed to keep ourselves protected." Dani said.

"Sometimes we make them forget, but if we can't, or it's not worth it, we just let it go with a warning." Amber said. "Memory magic is a hard to learn."

"Okay, but what are we going to do about the fact that we're being hunted?" Dani demanded. "From what I remember, leviathan is a water monster-"

"Demon, actually. They're water demons. Anyway, Silver Mage leviathans are not as bad as that, but they're pretty close. You know all those strange sounds on underwater microphones, the ones that everyone thinks are underwater volcanos?" Amber questioned.

"Yeah."

"Those are leviathans. The big ones." Amber told him. "As for traveling, I can't travel the both of us just yet."

"You still need to recharge." Dani sighed.

"It's a really long swim to where the wolf packs are." Amber said. "Like a really long swim."

"Oh, I didn't know." Dani snapped. "It's not like they're in Canada or anything."
"Just letting you know. Don't need to get snappy about it." Amber muttered, clearly unamused.

"Well, I figured it out. No thanks to you, Amber."

"I would appreciate you not having an attitude." Amber replied, getting snappish herself. "It makes my life much more enjoyable."

"Only in your wildest dreams." Dani snapped. He didn't know why he was getting this worked up, but he wasn't going to stop it in any way.

It had been too long since he'd really gotten mad. These last few days had been him being scared, worried, or panicked. He hated feeling like that, but he had no way to stop it.

"That's what I'm starting to think." Amber hissed. "Honestly, at this point, I don't really care if I need you. I'm thinking that I just want to punch you in the face regardless of where it really lands. Preferable down south."

"I would rather make the first move." Dani hissed, his rage starting to spiral out of control now.

He wanted to make her feel the pain she did unto others, to feel what it was like to be helpless and weak and young. Who knew how old she was? Zammi looked only thirty, yet she was in her sixties. Dani's vision began to blur, before snapping back into focus.