Chapter 29

"Don't worry, conetontli." A sweet voice said. A person, maybe a woman, laughed, and tossed him again. Dani giggled and burbled. He was caught by a pair of hands, and they held him carefully.

"I will always catch you." A different, coarser, but still caring voice added.

"I will always make sure you are safe." The first voice crooned, seeming to come from the same place.

"I will always make sure you defeat your enemies." The second voice continued.

"I will always care for you." The two voices seemed to mold into one voice, and something hissed in the background.

"Mother. Give me my son." A deep, smoky voice said. "My bride isn't in any shape to see you throwing her child around." Dani was passed into strong arms, muscular, but tender.

"Yes, let me see my baby." A broken voice said. "My baby." The voice was Zammi's and she sounded exhausted. There was a disappointed hiss as Dani was handed from the strong, thick arms of the man -his father?- to Zammi.

"Oh, my sweet." Zammi whispered, cradling him in her arms. Sweat gleamed on her forehead, but she smiled all the same. Her characteristic white hair surrounded her, haloing the two. "My baby." Her grip loosened, as she relaxed, and her breathing slowed. Soon, she was asleep.

"Here we are." the deep voice rumbled, and a man's face came into view. He pulled Dani from Zammi's grip, and back into his arms.

It was a handsome face, with high set cheekbones and finely cut features, just like Dani's. The man had the same shaped face as Dani, and his smile was kind. Feathers grew on his head, laying in such a fashion that they looked like a crown. "My beautiful baby." He muttered, and put his lips on Dani's forehead, his voice full of pride.

So this was Dani's father.

"He's beautiful, Quetzalcoatl." A second voice said grudgingly. "But I think he got most of his looks from his mother."

"No doubt she's a beauty, Xolotl, but this is all his own." Quetzalcoatl mused, his eyes still on Dani's face. Dani gurgled in babyish glee.

"I never took you for one who would be good father." Xolotl said, trying to get a jab in. He seemed upset, bitter even. Dani couldn't imagine why.

"Neither did I." Quetzalcoatl admitted, and turned to face the other god, who Dani couldn't quite see. "Maybe this can mark a new era for us."

"The last time we started a new era, you killed me." Xolotl deadpanned. "I do not think I wish to start a new era."

"I am sorry about that, brother."

"No, you're not. But may I?" Xolotl asked, and Quetzalcoatl handed Dani over to him. The face of his uncle hovered over Dani, annoyed at first, then smiling softly. It resembled the face of his father, but more hollow, angular, and sharper, like the edge of a knife. His eyes held darkness, but it was soft darkness. It appealed to Dani, but something else called him away from it.

Xolotl blinked, slowly, and Dani reached up with his little baby fist. "Demigod, eh?" He touched Dani's fist.

***

Dani lay on the ground, bleeding from his neck, chest, and forehead. The Ichneumon had long let go of his neck, running for its life. The lionesses were morning, their heads dipped in grief. Dani knew that Ariel, his mate, would live, with her child, but he feared for them. But that later. Right now, he should be worried about himself.