Chapter 31

The dinner table was set neatly, each fork tine was straight and each napkin folded with restaurant perfection. But Dani was still stressing out.

He knew that this could go so poorly. This could blow up in his face in so many ways.

But Dani had to try.

He pulled at his sleeves, a new nervous habit he had. Marble looked at him, her eyes narrowed. "Dani..."

"Yes?" He said, his voice close to cracking.

"What's wrong?" Marble asked. Evan looked at her.

"I kinda want you to meet someone." He told them. Andrew looked up.

"When did you get a girlfriend?" He demanded.

"I don't have a girlfriend, Andrew!" Dani told him. Carrie snickered.

"No need to be so defensive." Andrew leaned back in his chair, so the front legs were off the ground.
"Andrew, don't do that." Marble told him. He muttered an apology under his breath. "So, who do you want us to meet, honey?"

"My biological mom." Dani said, bracing for a reaction.

There was a silence.

It stretched on for quite a while.

"And you're sure that this is your actually mother? Not some imposter?" Marble questioned.

"Defiantly my real mother. And..." Dani trailed off.

"Who, Dani? Who else?" Evan asked, leaning forward.

"Sister."

"I'm your sister." Carrie pouted, putting her fork down.

"Older sister. I meet them in Mexico." Dani admitted. "That's why I was-"

"Dani, you kept this from us?" Marble sounded hurt, her brows lifted in disappointment. "Honey, all we want is the best for you."

"Yeah, well... She wants to meet you."

Apprehension crossed Marble's face, her brow furrowed in a nervous, calculated way. "And she's here?" Her voice darker, like she wanted to give Zammi a piece of her mind, which she most likely would.

"Yes." Dani said.

"Well, then I don't see any reason why we can't meet them." Marble said. "Do you have a time or place yet? You seem to be onto of this."

Dani gave her a sheepish smile.

***

The café was crowded, but Zammi Coatl's white hair was recognizable from yards away. Dra was there as well, tapping on the back of her phone which was face down on the table. She looked more nervous that Zammi did, her eyes darting around.

Dani tapped Marble on the hand and waved at Zammi, who smiled warmly and nodded.

"Her?" Marble asked, sounding aghast. "She's so young. No wonder..."

"Yeah, I think she's in her early thirties." Dani felt bad about lying, but it wasn't like he could tell Marble the truth. It would only hurt her.

"Tialli, noconetzin." Zammi said, and gave him a quick hug. Dani sat down, and Marble followed suite.

The tension in the air was palpable, Zammi's steady gaze on Dani, while Marble's fierce one was on Zammi.
"Oh, finalmente." Dra sighed. "Qué aborito." Marble looked confused, her eyes darting between Dra and Zammi.