Chapter 13

The next morning, was, for a lack of better words, a shit show. Dra woke Dani up early, much earlier than he was used to, even for Mexico. The sun was just touching the horizon, sending red fingers of daylight splitting the dark sky.

"What time is it?" Dani complained groggily, rubbing his eyes with his hands. There was no way that he could be expected to leave this early in the day.

"Four in the morning." Dra informed him, flicking her hand and the wall light turned on.

"Did you just use magic to turn on the lights?" Dani asked. "I didn't know you can do that. Or that Zammi even let you do that."

"No. she doesn't need to know." Dra muttered sullenly. Dani blinked, the annoyance in her voice bitter. "Here," She threw him the cloak as he squinted into the light.

"Why are we getting up so early?" He complained, propping himself up on his elbows.

"The Silver King isn't coming to our house, Dani. We have to go to him." Dra said, and she pulled him up. "Did that not comprehend with you?"

It hadn't, but Dani didn't admit that. "I just thought we were going later, like after breakfast. That's what Zaza said."

"Zaza just said after we ate and got ready." Dra corrected him. "Plus, I need you to help me." She grabbed a tee-shirt and dark jeans from Dani's side of the closet and tossed them too him. "Put these on, and meet me in the bathroom." She hurried out of the room.

Dani groaned, but did as he was told. He combed his fingers through his hair, and went to meet Dra.

When Dani arrived, Dra was staring into the mirror while running the glittering powder through her hair. Drawers where flung open and pallets of makeup lay scattered all across the top of the vanity. To Dani's surprise, the makeup was mostly skin toned and simple. This was plain compared to the extravagant feats that girls at school had worn, like Vivian, who's smoky eye had corresponded to the seasonal trend.

"I would have expected more... bold colors from you." Dani commented.

"That is my pallet for going to into the city." Dra pointed at the ones in the . "This is for official business."

"Do I have to wear any?" Dani teased.

"No. You don't." Dra held up a large brush to her cheeks, and brushed something across her cheekbones. She paused, and smirked at him from the mirror. "Unless you want to."

"I think I'll pass." Dani decided. Dra gave a fake pout, and then grabbed a large brush. A fan brush, Dani remembered from many mornings spent hunting down the right one for Marble. Before Dani could ask what she was doing, she began brushing copious amounts of tanned powder over her neck and chest, covering her vitiligo.

Dani frowned, confused. Dra had never covered her skin before, even when she'd been in Mexico City. She'd always worn her skin proudly. "Why are you trying to blend yourself?" He inquired. "You've never been self-conscious before."

"You haven't known me for very long, Dani." Dra said, picking up a smaller, contour brush. "Don't make judgements just yet."

"It's just, you've never seemed to be so affecting by what you look like before. You've always been so..." Confident is what he wanted to say, because it was true. She'd always had a sort of confidence that Dani had never seen in other girls.

"This isn't the outside world. That's progressive. This is the Silver Court. Not progressive." Dra said, blending the powder with her skin tone.