Chapter 50.

"There's not a time, for being younger

And all my friends, are enemies
And if I cried unto my mother
No she wasn't there, she wasn't there for me"

Song: Under The Water - The Pretty Reckless

A/N: 

This is a double update, so if you haven't yet, read chapter 49 first.

*****

"I'm calling my mother"

That is all I say as I tap my finger against the screen, and press the speaker button as soon as I hear the ring tone.

I want Harry to hear what she has to say as well, because I know he will help me if she tries to lie.

Harry doesn't look like he knows how to react, but he doesn't get much of a chance because after just a few rings my mother's voice comes through the speaker.

"Abigail?"

She sounds genuinely surprised, and I wish I could say the sound of her voice made me happy, I wish more than anything it did but it only makes my blood run hotter.

"Is my father dead?"

I don't even bother with a hello, my words are sharp and my tone is blank while my grip tightens on my phone as I hold it up near my mouth.

Harry hasn't taken his eyes off of me, but I can only stare at the ground where I'm standing in front of the coffee table.

"I beg your pardon?" She asks as if she didn't understand what I said, "I don't hear from you for months after that scene outside the coffee shop and you call me to ask me something like that-"

"Is my father dead?" I repeat cutting her off, and can feel my hands start to shake, "Answer my god damn question."

The line falls silent, which only makes my heart start beating faster, and I say through my teeth, "Is my fucking father dead - yes or no."

"...Who told you that?" is all she asks after a moment, and I can hear the tight panic in her voice that gives away the answer anyway.

It's the same tone I heard the last time I saw her and asked where my father was, after she told me he wanted to see me and to come home with her.

My own voice starts to raise, starting to feel my hands shake hands harder and it's like whatever wall that was trapping back my emotions has cracked down the middle and they're starting to burst out.

It's the anger though, the red searing anger that's the strongest this very second.

"It doesn't matter who told me - is he dead!" I press my palm to my forehead and thread my fingers into the front of my hair, squeezing my eyes closed to try and cope with the pounding in my head.

Ludo is awake now, lifting his head up to look over at the sound of my voice and Harry still hasn't moved but has kept his gaze lasered on me, I can feel it.

"Abigail... you watch your tone with me," she says with her own voice raising up, "Just let me explain-"

"So you knew!" I cut her off again with my voice even louder, and my hand dropped back by my side, at the same time I finally started to feel my heart sink from my chest to my stomach, "You knew he died and you kept that from me. Say it. Say he's dead."