Chapter 13

Chapter 13:  A New Romance?

Jonathan and I entered the hospital lobby and sitting there was Matt.

“Jillian!”  He saw me and stood up and walked to me. “Good news, Maria woke up and seems to remember things and she is doing well.  The doctors are very encouraged.”

“That is fabulous news!  I’m so happy for you and Lizzy! Is Lizzy with her mom then?”

“She is with her mom and the social worker.  There is still a lot of unknowns right now, but there is also a lot of positive happening too.”

“Thank you so much for letting me know.  I’m so happy for you both.  Good news!”

“Thank you so much for your concern and for taking care of Lizzy until I got there.  I can’t imagine how afraid she was, but if there had been no one….. chills just went down my spine. Thinking about it.”

“Of Course!  I didn’t do anything I wouldn’t have wanted someone to do for me and Lian.  It was a pleasure to meet Lizzy and you!  How did you get here so fast anyway?”

“I was actually coming down to see Lizzy.  I knew they would be here for the concert, so I took a few days off of work to come meet up with her after the concert and spend some time together.  That was actually incredibly lucky.”  He was staring at me with those eyes again, my stomach was doing flips!  “Actually, Jillian, I was wondering if you might be available for dinner this evening?  I would like to take you out to properly thank you for your help.  I know I will never get Lizzy away from her mom, but I feel kind of out of place here and would like to get out for a bit as well.  So would you care to join me?”

I was shocked.  I hadn’t been asked on a date since before I met my husband.  But perhaps I was reading too much into this, he said a thank you dinner, not a date.

“I would like that, but I probably should go check on Lian first.  She is supposed to be discharged this evening and I hate to leave her alone.  Let me find out what is happening with that.  Can I call you when I know?”

“Absolutely, and I would be honored to escort you both to dinner.  She helped Lizzy so much.  As a matter of fact, Lizzy keeps asking about Lian.  I know she would enjoy seeing her before you leave.  Do you still have my number from the stadium?”

“I do.  I am going up right now to see what is going on.  I should be able to let you know shortly.  Thank you for the invite!”

He smiled at me and I melted.  What was wrong with me?  I did not need this in my life, but I found I was actually enjoying it, maybe I did need it, a little.

“I will look forward to your call.”

I smiled in return and went to the elevators where Jonathan was waiting with that silly look on his face again.  I just glared at him but then smiled uncontrollably while we waited for the elevator.