Because I Loved Him

Kath's POV:
My jaw just about dropped as I stared directly into the eyes of a familiar face- a past friend. I couldn't take my gaze off of the man that sat there, for that man was Elliot. A long lost love, shattered into pieces by a mixture of denial and timing. Marcus obliviously continued to walk alongside our waitress as we arrived to our table just across the room. I sat in shock, rendered speechless by Elliot's presence. How could it be? Why is he here? How did he-, My thought was interrupted by our server offering us wine. After Marcus agreed, he went on with talking. Clearly distracted, he asked me what was wrong. I responded with a dishonest "nothing". Nothing was right in my life in this moment. Nothing seemed 'okay'. My whole world, my home, my relationship, my life that I had built for myself seemed to be jeopardized in this moment. But why? He's just a past memory swept clean by time. I tried my hardest to act normal for the remainder of the meal, making small talk, sipping wine, laughing mildly. Even still, I couldn't help but think of the man sitting just yards away from me, all alone. Why did I feel like his presence, his mere existence, was bound to destroy everything I've worked for? Maybe because I hated Elliot. Maybe because I loved him. This is ridiculous. It's been years. Yet still, I sat here thinking of him. After all this time, just a glance, and I was back to the place I was before. A hopeless fool I was to think anything of Elliot after he left, but here I am. Overwhelmed with emotion, I excused myself to go outside and make a call- anything to get me out of there. I secretly hoped Elliot would follow me.