What Am I To You?

Kath's POV:
I turned, expectantly waiting to see who was walking out of the restaurant beside me. I raised my hand to my forehead to get a better look. It was Marcus walking towards me. How foolish of me to think it was Elliot? What a daring thought. He handed me his jacket and said, "Are you crazy? Let's get out of this rain." I stood still for a second, suddenly questioning everything. "Are you coming back inside?" I took a few small steps to follow him back into the restaurant, when, out of the corner of my eye I saw Elliot. He was looking at me through the glass. There was a sadness in his eyes, but I suppose it was the same for me. He was telling me something with those eyes. He looked as if he were saying, "What am I to you?" Or perhaps it was, "Who is he to you." I stopped. "I'm not going." I looked up at Marcus. "What do you mean you're not going? I paid a lot for this wine. We're going back inside. Come on Kath." I stood firmly. I could feel the rain soaking through my red dress. My perfectly curled hair was drenched and I could feel my make up running down my cheek. Marcus looked at me with annoyance. "Kath, what the hell are you talking about?" What was I talking about? I wasn't even sure. Why am I so certain that this is the right choice? How can I be so sure? Just hours before, I wanted so desperately for a future with Marcus, but now I'm wondering what's next for us. Now I find myself taking off the ring that lay snug on my left hand. "Marcus..." I spoke with a broken voice. He looked at me with confused eyes. "I'm not in love with you." My words came out in a meek, small, yet strong tone. His mouth hung slightly ajar and his eyes squinted from the rain. He was filled with something, I could tell- sadness maybe. My eyes were filled with sadness once. But not now. He said nothing to me. He walked into the restaurant and quickly rushed out after paying the bill. He exchanged only a quick glance as he made his way down the street. What have I done? Rather than doubt or remorse, I felt freed. My tears were now of joy. I felt my hand move towards my now-empty finger. For the first time in years, things felt right. And then I heard the bell of the restaurant ring once again.