Chapter 8

*Lake*
~~~Serena~~~

I felt time stop. Is it possible to feel a million things at the same time for one second, and the next everything seems to freeze? I hate those feelings. Cause frankly, I have never hated my sister as much as I do now. I jumped from my hiding place and ran, not caring whether I was seen, or that I accidentally blew Percy and Grover far into the deep lake. I tripped as I struggled to get away, with my tears blinding me. I didn't know where I was going. I just knew I had to leave. I passed the eating area where I found Selena and Malcom talking about who gets to drive the chariot.

"Hey Ser--" Selena started but I pushed her hard as I passed her. I heard her cry in pain as she fell but I didn't care. I continued running until my legs got tired.

That's when I realized my feet brought me to Cabin 13. The anger in my chest grew. I entered it angrily and broke everything I touched until I reached the balcony that looked over a valley. Tears streamed down my cheeks as memories flooded in my mind.

The first memory was when Selena and I were 3. That was when we were first adopted. At a young age I knew that our stepparents liked Selena more than me. I felt rejected and yet I didn't let Selena know about my feelings. My memories continued...when we went to high school where the boys cared about Selena more and that they would just get close to me to get to know her...somehow I was angry at how people seem to care more about my twin.

"Why don't people care about me?! I was Selena's twin too and we looked alike, so how come no one would appreciate me?!" I yelled into the open air in front of me. I was about to fall on my knees when I heard a voice say, "Don't worry Serena, I appreciate you. I always will."

My puffy eyes looked up and I came face to face with a guy with sandy hair and blue eyes.

I tried to scream but he held a hand over my hand. I instinctively reached to my paper fan in my back pocket when he spoke: "Don't worry. I'm here to help you."

He took back his hand when he realized I calmed down.

"Who are you and where did you--" I started but as I glanced down I saw he was standing in midair with a pair of flying sneakers keeping him up.

"Hello, I'm Luke, son of Hermes." The boy extended his hand. I noticed he spat the last word.

"You're the traitor." I took a step back.

"Not to worry," Luke assured, "Im here to help you."

"What are you talking about?" I wiped the remaining tears from my eyes and face.

"I know how much you hate your sister, Selena." Luke said simply.

"What--how did--"

"Doesn't matter."

"How did you get in anyway? Aren't you kinda off limits here?" I asked. For some strange reason I was attracted to Luke. It made me feel like everything was fine.

"Secret entrance I found when I was still here." Luke shrugged.

"What do you want from me?" I took out my fan.

"Chill, girl. Like I said, I'm here to help. You've been under Selena's shadow for too long, even though you're 5 seconds older. You want to show others that you exist too. You want the attention she gets. You want to be better than her."

"How did you--"

"It doesn't matter." Luke said impatiently.

"What do you suggest to do?" I know it's bad to be with this traitor, and that I should turn him in. But this guy is probably the first person who actually wants to help me. So, I'm taking my chance.

*Eating area*
~~~Selena~~~

"Are you sure you're okay?" Malcom asked for about the hundredth time.

"Yes, Malcom. I am. Now quit asking questions." I said as I looked around furiously for Serena.

"I don't think so." Malcom pointed to the big slash by my leg.

"It's nothing." I muttered and tried to walk away but it stings too much to even move a muscle.

"Let me help you," Malcom said. I didn't bother arguing cause I know he would never take no for an answer. I sighed as he knelt by the wound.

"Hmm...I need to get you to the infirmary." Malcom decided. He eagerly placed my arm over his shoulder and gently supported my waist with his other hand.

"On second thought," I suddenly felt awkward, "I think I'm gonna be fine."

"Nonsense." He started pulling me slowly towards the infirmary.

I panickly looked for Annabeth but she wasn't anywhere in sight.

"Malcom! What the hell do you think you're doing?!" I turned and saw Percy running towards us. I groaned loud enough for him to hear.

"Taking her to the infirmary, of course. She's injured." Malcom pointed to the wound.

"I said I'm fi--"

"I'll take her." Percy insisted.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" I demanded as he tried to take me from a stubborn Malcom.

"I need to talk to her!" Percy pulled and I noticed his hand was on the other side of my waist.

"Damn it, I said I'm fine!" I yelled.

"I need to talk to you!" Percy yelled back.

"Ugh! Fine!" I glared and turned to Malcom. "It's okay Malcom." I smiled apologetic'lly to my helpful friend.

He glared at Percy but let me go.

"She better be healed when I check on her later." Malcom glared and walked away. Percy was now holding me.

"What do you want now?" I growled.

"Come on."

"No."

"Come on!" He swiftly scopped me up bridal style.

"Hey!" I tried to get off but he was suprisingly strong. "Where the hell do you think you're taking me?!"

"Somewhere private." Percy mumbled.