Chapter 22

~~~Annabeth~~~

I felt Percy stiffen in terror just like me. I expected Selena to turn into stone but then she spoke in a menacing voice.

"How dare you. How dare you. You are so going to regret that!" Selena broke free of Medusa who was frozen in shock that Selena was still moving. Selena took this advantage to swing her paper fan towards Medusa, resulting to the monster spin along with dirt and dead plants. Medusa attempted to get up and defend herself, but Selena didn't give her a second to move. She quickly spun her fan in circles, creating a tornado. The tornado formed fast, spinning Medusa in the center. I glanced at the others and saw they had recovered. Percy moved the water behind us and added it to the tornado. Thalia pointed her spear at Medusa and it sent electricity to the monster. Finally, Grover added what looked like poisonous plants into the tornado. All the forces mixed together like fruits in a blender, slowly tormenting Medusa. After a few minutes, Selena stopped the tornado and Medusa fell down dripping wet as she gasped for air. Her snakes laid lifeless on her head, and some are still crackling with electricity. Medusa spat out some plants and looked at Selena in the eye. Once again I expected to see Selena turn into stone but she didn't.

"I don't understand," Medusa coughed, "why you are still alive...you are merely a demigod."

"You underestimated me then." Selena glared and swung her fan for the last time. The wind was so sharp, that it cut off Medusa's head. It rolled off from its body, lifeless.

~~~Selena~~~

"Are you guys okay?" I turned to my friends who was gaping at me. "What's wrong?"

"How can you survive Medusa's eyes..." Grover whispered.

"You guys expected me to be turned into stone?" I asked, slightly hurt.

"Of course not!" Percy ran towards me and engulfed me in a big hug.

"I'm so relieved that you're okay!" He said and buried his head in my hair. I smiled and hugged back when I suddenly felt heavy weight in my body.

"Selena? Are you okay?" Percy pulled back, his hands still on my waist.

"Just...tired." I muttered and lost consciousness.

~~~Percy~~~

"Selena!" I exclaimed and caught her. The others joined us and Thalia said, "Why does this keep happening?"

"And how come she didn't turn into stone?" Grover looked worried.

"Let's get her inside." I said and carried Selena bridal style. This isn't exactly what I had hoped in mind when I wanted to carry Selena again.

"But what if there are more mons--"

"There won't be." I told Grover. "They should've came out a while ago, and if there was any, we can just beat them.

I carried Selena inside Medusa's lair. Thalia and Annabeth went back to retrieve Medusa's head in a sack while Grover searched for food. I pushed open her room and carefully laid her on bed. I sat next to her and gently took her hair out of her face and admired her beautiful features...

"Percy," Thalia broke through my thoughts, "I think we should call Chiron."

I nodded and Grover fished out a drachma out of his pocket. He tossed it to her while I made a rainbow from a glass of water on Selena's nightstand. Soon, we were looking at Chiron through the rainbow. I recognized the background and saw him playing cards with Mr. D, also known as Dionysus.

"Ah, children." He said. "I trust your journey has been safe?"

"Not really." Annabeth said and indicated towards Selena.