Chapter 30

One second it was all fine, the next it was absolute chaos. The shadows erupted into shouting, not having a single clue in what was happening. Sally and her parents, for the first time I had seen them this evening, had a genuine look of surprise and shock on their faces, and they all instantly looked to me.

"Don't look at me, this isn't my doing" I knew whose it was though, and as soon as I thought their names, they appeared just like magic. Talia was the first on scene, walking straight towards the four that were still struggling, crushing them within minutes, their bodies turning into mist. Upon seeing her, the rest of the Shadows went into action, immediately summoning their mist straight towards her. Their attempts were lost though, when balls of water were sent in their direction instead, distracting them and giving Talia another chance to trap a more shadows in the branches and one more in a mud pile that completely covered their body, suffocating them. I watched Talia and Luka in amazement, their moves almost like a dance routine. They both continued to my parents and when they finally reached them, Talia stayed, creating a wall almost all around them, effectively blocking them off from the battle. Luka gave me one look, giving me a quick once over to to make sure I wasn't injured, before reaching my eyes. Like before, the world seemed to stop around me, but I knew right now was not the best time for us to block out everything and everyone else so I managed a quick smile, before dragging my eyes away to let him continue on. As soon as I thought he wasn't distracted by me any more, I looked back at him and saw he was starting to freeze a shadow up completely. Once they couldn't move, he gave one single hard punch to the centre of its body, instantly shattering it and the mist flying away as soon as the shards of ice hit the ground. I almost melted there myself, but I was distracted by other things. Where was Roman? I was looking so hard at the scene happening in front of me, it wasn't until last minute that I felt my restraints loosen tightly, and looking behind me, the answer to my question was right there, slowly using forceful air to get rid of my black mist prison. I looked back forward, not wanting to draw attention to him, and when I felt like I could move again, all the pent-up fire I had been holding inside erupted, severing all the remaining holds that were against me. More screaming followed, and Sally, who had been too focused on the fighting in front of us, whipped her head towards me, and seeing that I was free, she didn't hesitate in creating her escape around her, stepping into it before I could react. I wasn't that bothered about her escape though, because seconds later I saw her reappear again at the other side of the battle field, watching me.

"Sorry we're late, but I guess its better late than never, right?" Despite what had just happened, I couldn't stop the small laugh that came through my lips at Romans comment.

"Thank you" I spoke softly, which sobered Roman right up, his war starting to appear"

"Are you going to be alright if I go help?" I looked at Sally again, who was watching me, clearly waiting for me to go to her, before looking back at Roman and nodding my head.

"I've got a few things to finish off, you go" and without another word, he went and joined the other two. I looked out at what was happening in front of me, and each shadow was trying to fight the trio.  They were a lot more powerful than what I thought, although I did often forget that they did have more experience than I did, so they knew how to use their powers. Each shadow was invested in the fight, whether that was physical or through their power, but they were limited. Every time one transported close to them, the trio expected it, and managed to either rid them or injure them enough to make them transport back to recover. I noted that most of them were situated towards the middle, so I started walking to the side, wanting to sneak around them and get to where I needed to go. I only got about half way around when my path was suddenly blocked.

"Hello Layla, remember me?" A figure dropped in front of me and I immediately went into a defensive stance.

"You're going to pay for what you did, and I'm going to make you wish you had finished me off the first time" The first shadow I'd ever encountered stood in front of me, hissing her words. Her human form was scarred with burns, and I felt a satisfied grin come onto my skin, and she didn't like this one bit. She stepped forward and I instantly turned my fire on, waiting for her to use the same trick in the book as everyone else, but she didn't. Instead, she charged at me, knocking me to the ground. We both fell, and I managed to roll away before she was on top of me, staggering back up again.