Chapter 7

Troy's POV

Nothing. It's been a long five months, and I haven't heard from Leigha at all. I never get the message that my texts were delivered so I assume she's blocked me. She sometimes talks to Emma and Gia but not often. Whenever they bring me up, she says she can't talk.

Leigha being gone is slowly killing me. I know I wanted her out of the city and it'd be hard, but I never imagined it being this crushing. Just as soon as I found her, I had to let her go.

The fight against the Armada is getting more intense and it's hard to predict which powers we'll need without Leigha's help. She was a valuable asset to the team. Tensou and Gosei both entrusted her to help; then, I pushed her away.

I walk into homeroom and I see my team talking. They all look pretty grim.

"I'm not sure. She hasn't answered," Gia shakes her head.

"Not a good sign," Noah runs a hand through his hair.

"We have to tell him," Orion sighs sounding defeated.

"We can't. It would crush him," Jake argues.

"Hey. What's going on?" I ask setting my backpack down.

They all look at each other uncomfortably. Emma and Gia look worried while Orion looks flat out pissed. Noah and Jake have similar looks of concern on their faces and it makes my stomach clench.

"What? What's wrong?" I ask again.

"Troy, did you watch the news this morning?" Emma asks gently.

"No. Why? What happened?"

"Here. Look," Jake hands me his phone and I look down at the screen.

It's pulled up to the news channel's website. The headline reads, 'Monalua Overrun By Alien Invaders Early This Morning'. A lump forms in my throat and tears well in my eyes. I quickly skim the rest of the article. The Armada stationed their ship right above the island and have xborgs constantly patrolling. People have died and are under control of the invaders.

"Oh my gosh. I sent her away to her doom," I choke out.

"We're so sorry, Troy," Orion rests a hand on my shoulder, and I hand Jake his phone back.

"I gotta go," I pick my bag out and walk out of the school again. I grab my phone and call my dad.

"Leo Burrows. How can I help you?" He answers almost immediately.

"Dad, I don't feel good. Could you call me out?" I ask.

"Sure. What's wrong?"

"Not sure. I'm just kinda dizzy," I lie.

"That's not good. Lay down. Oh and Troy?"

"Yeah, Dad?"

"Have you seen the news?"

"About the aliens on Monalua?" I confirm.

"Yes."

"Yeah. I'm worried about that too," I run a hand through my hair as I walk down the steps of the school.

"Try calling her grandparents. They might know something," Dad suggests.

"I'll try."

"Get some rest. You seem to be under a lot of pressure lately," he suggests.

"Yeah I am. Thanks, Dad."

From there, I run to the beach. I grab a rock and hurl it into the ocean. I keep doing that until my arm is aching. When I'm finished I see blood all over my hand. I never even realized the rocks were cutting my hands open.