Art Appreciation

Yoongi POV

I decided to go to the gallery early that day. I had an idea about how to rearrange the paintings so that they displayed better and wanted to discuss it with Jin, the gallery manager. When I got there, he told me a couple of people were already there looking at my work. I rounded the corner and saw a couple, both with dark hair, embracing in a back hug and simply appreciating my work. I smiled, glad that they seemed to be enjoying the art, and each other.

When I started speaking with them, the taller man turned toward me. Wow, he was gorgeous enough to be a model. The other, shorter, man continued looking at my work. I was hoping this meant he was already thinking of which one he wanted to buy.

I questioned them again but lost all train of thought when the other man turned toward me. Is it possible for a heart to stop and speed up at the same time? Never, never in my wildest dreams did I dare hope that Angel would come back. When he said hi to me his voice sounded even sweeter than I remembered. And his hair? No longer angel blonde, but instead a mysterious, sexy, deadly, dark brown.

I was frozen. Perhaps we both were, but I came back to my senses when I saw the man who was with Angel slightly lean down to whisper something in his ear before gently kissing his cheek and moving away. I'm not sure where he went, but it didn't matter. I was focused on Angel.

I final spoke. "You dyed your hair dark brown?" Then immediately started an internal dialogue berating myself. The first time you see or talk to Angel in over a month and that's what you come up with? I didn't even complement him. I'm so stupid sometimes.

"Oh. Um. Yeah. I was looking for a job." He answered haltingly. Then he dropped his head and I think he added in a mumble, "plus I needed a change," under his breath. He took a pause and then looked up at me. "And you? Mint green? It looks great."

I could feel myself blushing. Blushing dammit! As I fumbled around in my pocket, I answered his compliment. "Thanks. You look great too. I mean your hair does." I stopped moving around, having found what I was reaching for in my pocket, and looked at him again. "And you look great too." I added again, sheepish smile on my face.

Angel bowed his head. "Thanks."

I cleared my throat. "Here's your phone. I'm sure you got a new one, but maybe there's stuff on here you still need? Some pictures or something?" It appeared we were frozen again, neither of us willing to take the first step closer to each other.

We heard voices coming from the front, startling him into taking the first steps in my direction. I think Jin was talking with the man who came with Angel. He reached his hand out to take the phone from me, our fingers lingering on each other's hands a little longer than necessary before he pulled his hand away and looked up at the ceiling, taking a breath. I could see tears glistening in his eyes, and I had to hold myself back from trying to comfort him. I wasn't even sure why he would be the one crying. I yelled at him, scolded him, lost him. And he moved on with someone else. Someone who looked beautiful and caring toward him. I should be crying and begging for his forgiveness.

My train of thought was interrupted by him gesturing at my works, saying, "This all looks great. Is it weird for me to say that I'm proud of you?"

My heart got stuck in my throat, making me feel like I had to choke. Proud? Angel was proud of me? Ohgod. I had always hoped for some acceptance and pride from someone I cared about. And he freely gave it, without any conditions. He was proud of me. Well.

Now it was my turn to hide the tears. I took a large gulp, trying to control my voice. "Thank you for coming to my show. That really does mean a lot. It's only because of you that this is so successful."