Part 27

It was a mess.

Buildings sacked, children screaming, fields of wheat bathed in blood. It was better in Velaris where people could run into a shelter or protect themselves, but mortals? They were weak, delicate, fragile, already the bodies piled up.

They did not waste time when they arrived, all the High Lords at once, they didn't think when Lucien gave the warning, only acted. They had all winnowed with their entourage straight into the nearest village. 

Greeted by screams and pleas for mercy and help, blasts of power went out. Ice spiked from the ground, crystals shards sailing. Fire burned, Eris barely jumping into action before he saw Aelin burned twenty of them all at once, the new High Lord gaping. Invisible hands snapped bones and tendons. Shadows and water rose to consume its victims. Spells were blasted. Wind and death sailed through the village like the last breath. Manon was within in all, having no magic but her own body as a weapon. She twirled as she slashed and swiped, having killed a dozen after dozen as she continued on and on, her moments quick and elegant as an elaborate dance, Abraxos careening into the monsters nearby.

A hundred beasts were killed within moments. They sheathed their weapons, gathering together. They barely said a word before a mortal female chased towards them, her brown hair whipping in the wind, she stood breathless as they waited on her.

She pointed further south. "They're not done," she panted ", They're targeting other villages. They're targeting the cities."

"How many,"  asked Feyre.

The woman shook her head in despair and started weeping ", I-I do-don't know."

"We'll help," Rhysand said gently.

"You can't, there were hundreds!"

"We'll do what we can."

Rhysand raised his head from the woman's eyes and looked towards the circle of rulers. "We're going to split up. They're trying to eliminate the mortals to use the land as their base. We're not giving that advantage."

Tarquin nodded "I shall stay close to the border, it is easier for us then."

"The Winter Court shall take the west."

"The Autumn Court the east."

"I shall take the middle," Helion said calmly."

"My peregryns and I shall take the western shore."

"That means, we'll take the eastern shore," said Feyre. 

"I will go with the Autumn Court so I can kick Eris's ass," Aelin said, grinning, a crown of flame leaping on her head. 

Eris scowled, having earned very little kills compared to Aelin in the battle.

"I shall assist the Night Court," Manon said, no doubt planning to wreak havoc with her team of killer women.

"I, too, shall assist the Night-" Dorian started before Manon gave him a look, he quickly coughed and started again ", I mean to say that I would join the Dawn Court."

"I will stay behind," Elide said ", I have no use in battle so I shall help those in need. My husband will go with Tarquin."

"I can stay behind too," Lottie, who had stayed quiet, quipped. "My mother was a healer."

"No," Tamlin said harshly, the female shrunk in on herself.

Rhysand raised a brow ", And where will you help us?"

The High Lord of Spring surveyed them. "It looks like you got perfectly under control."

Feyre snarled. "You plan to leave?"