Mates?

It was utter darkness.

It wasn't the dark of the shadows. The balance of dark and light, the darkness of nature. It wasn't the darkness of the hidden secrets of a forest, it wasn't the dark of the night sky, the black to balance the shining stars.

It was simply darkness, not a single source of light.

Aelin surveyed her hands, they had a glow about them, a light that didn't reflect, a light that defined her being, skimming the edges of her body. She turned to look at her side and sure enough, Rowan was there beside her, basked in a pale green light, while she was a yellow so bright it was white.

She shifted and surveyed her surroundings. She could see forms off in the distance. They walked towards her. One in glowing sapphire and another in fierce gold. Manon and Dorian gave them a nod, in which they returned.

Then from the left emerged Lorcan and Elide, glowing in black and copper. From the right Lysandra and Aedion faded in, their bodies shining in darkest emerald and bright orange. Aelin felt something behind her, the stirrings of a moment, she turned ready to pummel.

Only to find the High Lady of the Night Court and her mate staring wide-eyed at them, resplendent in sterling silver light. Their court standing not off behind them. Amren in sparkling gray. Mor in fiery red. Azriel and Cassian in a muted silver. 

Then Feyre's sisters.

Somehow, they were also here. Elain in the glittering rainbow, reflecting nonexistent light in swaths of pale blue and red and yellow. Nesta in the brightest indigo, with an undertone of pure black that occasionally blotted out her entire form.

"I suppose this is one big dream party then," Aelin said sarcastically.

"Anyone got snacks?" Rhys said drily.

"I suppose we can make some up," Cassian suggested.

"What is this place?" Elain said.

This is your subconsciousness.

They all whirled, the trained warriors doing it on reflex, Elide and Elain, on the other hand, the intelligent and quiet women nearly fell face down into the darkness. 

A peal of dark laughter rumbled and something in the air started solidifying. It's as though the air was suddenly pulled tight from one end to another, then layered upon one another. Moments later, two men were standing before them.

They were opposites and yet so similar. They were the same height, same build, same face shape, and yet...the way they stood; the way they presented themselves. One was red-haired.  The other was a strawberry blonde. They both had the eyes of the Valg kings.

They would have been handsome were it not for the aura that followed them. The leaking liquid darkness of nightmares. She knew immediately that these were Orcus and Mantyx.

"Mantyx at your service," mock-bowed the strawberry blonde.

That left Orcus to be the red-haired one.

There was nothing but dark and solid black in the core of Orcus's eyes.

"Pleasure," Aelin said, throwing her hair back with a sweep of her neck ", I'm pretty sure you know who I am. I am quite popular."

"Indeed, fire bringer."

"What is it that you want?" Feyre cut in.

"Surrender-" started Mantyx, who seemed to be acting as the talker for the both of them.

"Oh blah blah," Aelin said ", Let me guess 'surrender or we'll kill you?'"

The corner of Mantyx's lips curled up in a cruel smile ", No, in fact, we'll kill you either way. We are asking you to surrender so it shall be a swift death. Refusing would only result in the slow and sure death of you and your kingdoms."