Best friend

"Let's go, Captain!" Jake says waiting for me to lead the way. "Ok." We have tried to carry minimum stuffs so it won't be a problem to walk uphill.

We don't talk much during the climb and that is only because of exhaustion. It takes a lot of effort to climb,even for an athlete.

This silence is perfect. However not for my partner for he blurts out,"This silence is suffocating me." I laugh at the irony. "What? It true. You don't talk until you are spoken to and that's wierd. Who keeps shut for that long?" He exclaims and it's true.

I just nod not knowing how to start a conversation but I am saved when he notices it and says," Oh,come on. Say something." "What?" I ask.

"Like..." He begins to think hard and an idea hits me. I am going to record this. Taking out my camera I begin my recording and notice that he has completely fallen silent.

"Hi. I am Sofim and today I am with my desk partner Jake. We decided to climb this hill but it's turning out to be a little difficult. Its tedious but we have almost made to the top so we will go on. Um...let's hear my partner," I say and turn towards him.

He looks surprised. After a minute, he says," Well, hello. Right now I discovered that my partner here can actually talk and smile like any other normal person. She has always been quiet but she is fun to be with. Thank you."

I end the recording and look at him. He genuinely looks tired. " Here. Have this. I got rich recently so you can have this. I owe you one,for the interview," I say and hand him the bar of chocolate. It is my favourite flavour. "How did you get rich? " He teases but I just look away indicating that the conversation is done.

We walk a little further but give up. It was too much for beginners. "It was fun, wasn't it?" Jake asks when we reach back. "Don't forget to shower," I remind him before going in.

"There she is," I point towards Amanda and walk to her. I wanted dinner. As we approach closer, I notice her talking to someone. A tall guy. "What is he doing here?" I mumble. "Who?"  "No one."

Walk away Sofim. Amanda had her hands intertwined with his and their aura screamed," We are dating!"  " Hi, Amanda," I say and regret it immediately.

"Hi,Sofim," she responds and I could feel him turning around. Why is Jake so silent? I think but push the thought away. " Um I wanted to eat something so I thought of looking for you," I say and try to ignore the figure beside her. " Well, I am a little busy right now but you can find the food in the kitchen," she says and pouts. " Alright. Thanks," I say.

I am about to walk away when a greeting stops me. " You know her?" I hear Amanda asking. "Yes,she is my best friend."

"Jake. Let's go," I nudge his elbow and he snaps back to reality. What is wrong with him? We eat a silent dinner,each lost in our pool of thoughts. "Good night," I say and all he does his nod in reply. Wierd.

"Everyone move out. Only the cleaning people will stay inside." " Can I stay in? I'll help with the cleaning," I had offered but she had refused. I didn't want to go outside. I was tired.
The door had been closed from the inside and everyone else were outside.
I leaned against the door and closed my eyes. I was going to complete my sleep. "What are you doing?"I asked opening my eyes with difficulty. There he stood facing me and a huge grin on his face. " Nothing." He hits on my forehead again. " Stop it already Nate." He did it again.  I turn away not wanting a fight. This time he pulls my hair and this angers me. I hit him hard on his head, making him shout," That hurts!" " I know." Only no do I realize that I am surrounded by males. It felt awkward. The cleaners open the door now and I take the chance to run. I guess I hit him hard for he came running after me for revenge. We ran for sometime . " Give up. I am sorry. Here hit me but I can not run any longer," I say extending my hands.
"Forget it. Even I am tired," he says.
We sat down and waited for the teacher.

We were in grade seven now and three years had passed since we became friends. Life was definitely good. We fought regularly and these made our day. I missed it now.

I don't believe in the concept of best friend, but he had called me one. I didn't deserve that title. I screwed it.
All I want is...I don't know what I want! I shouldn't have said it.