Chapter 33

Another two months went by and Layla still hadn’t told any she was expecting, besides her boss and Ethan. She wished he didn’t know because he was becoming a pain in the rear. He called or came by to check on her everyday and always made sure she ate and took her vitamins. He even accompanied her to some of her appointments. He was gunning for the godfather position. She shook her head and glanced at the clock. He should be showing his face any moment now she thought as the phone rang.

“Layla Sinclair, Hospital Administration” “Mmm, babe I love it when you get all professional. Kinda turns me on.” He joked. “Xavier” She breathed as her heartbeat kicked up. “What? You were expecting someone else equally handsome and sexy?" “No silly.” She blew a breath out shakily “Just didn’t expect to hear your voice so soon in the day. How’s work going?” she asked nervously. “Work is fine, but I don’t want to talk about that.” “Oh. Well what did you call me for then mister?” she said seductively. Her libido had skyrocketed about two weeks ago and she felt like a dog in heat. He chuckled. “Not what you’re thinking with your kinky self.” He teased. “Hey can’t blame me. You’ve spoiled me whispering dirty things in my ear every night so what’s a girl supposed to think?” she pretended to pout. “Mmm, just wait til tonight baby.” He moaned. Her ears perked up. “And ah, what happens then?” she feigned ignorance. He laughed. “Well... this time will be different. I’ll be whispering those dirty things in your ear laying between your legs.” He whispered huskily.

She sat up straight, knocking over a jar of pens. “Ah, tonight? How, wh-" He cut her off. “I have to fly out to meet a client at my uncle’s firm. It’s a two day trip and I have a layover in Chicago so I thought I’d crash with this woman I know.”  “Oh really? So tell me about this woman you know and hope to get lucky enough to stay with.” “Well, all I know is that I can’t promise you that I won’t make love to her every chance I get because babe, oh my god this woman is so damn fine! I don’t think I’ll be able to keep my hands off her body.” He whispered into her ear. She cleared her throat. “Wh-When are you coming?” she swallowed nervously. “Tonight. And I’ll be all yours until the morning.” She was silent for a moment. “Baby? Are you ok?” he asked suspiciously. Her attention snapped back “Ah, yeah baby I’m fine. I just. I haven’t went grocery shopping or did laundry, I have to clean and- “Babe relax. I know you keep the place spotless and we can always order out. I thought you’d be happy to see me?” “I am!” she rushed to say. “Baby I want nothing more than to see you. I’m excited!” She said faking enthusiasm.

She was scared out of her mind and close to a panic attack. “I’ll get in around seven and catch a cab to your place” “No, baby I can pick you up” She protested. “Un unh, I want you in bed and hot, waiting for me. Can you do that for me?” She squeezed her thighs together. “Yes” she moaned starting to feel hot already. “Good. Gotta run love, kiss me.” She blew a kiss into the phone and hung up. She dropped her head on the desk and banged it lightly.

Ethan stuck his head inside her doorway and frowned. “Hey, why so frustrated? Sleep deprivation hasn’t started yet.” He joked. Layla looked up at him scowling. He held his hands up. “Ok. Remind me to stop pissing off the severely hormonal pregnant woman.” She scowled again and he clamped his mouth shut.  “So what’s wrong?” He asked taking a seat across from her desk. “Xavier is coming” She looked at him desperately. “You still haven’t told him!” He shouted. “Sssh!... No. I just I didn’t want to do it over the phone and it was never the right time. What am I gonna do Ethan?” “No way. I’m not in this. I told you to tell him months ago. You’re five months pregnant now. What the hell do you think he’s gonna do when he see’s your belly?” he lectured. Layla looked down at her stomach. It was an obvious pudge now to anybody who looked closely. She was still able to pull it off because she had a slight belly before she was pregnant and she had already started wearing maternity clothes. They were discreet and she was still able to dress fashionably. She’d just use the "ate too much" excuse. That may work for her coworkers and friends but Xavier would be all up against her. Touching her. How could he not notice? “Shit! He’s going to kill me.” Ethan shook his head and walked out mumbling not to call him when the shit hit the fan.