Chapter 4

Ransom freezes. He slowly looks up at you. He sighs and sits up on the bed. "(y/n) look." He hesitates. "Harlan um, he cut me out of his will." Ransom looks back down trying to hide his anger. "Wait, he cut you out of his will?" Your surprised by what ransom just said to you. "Why? Why would he do that?" You try to make Ransom talk to you. "He told me that I needed to start making my own money instead of getting it from him." You could tell Ransom was mad. 

You sigh before saying, " Ransom would that be so bad?" You try to see how he would react. "What?" Ransom looks up at you with anger, but hurt in his eyes from what you said. "Would it be so bad if you did get a job and didn't have to rely on someone to give you money?" You say making eye contact with him. Ransom jumps out of the bed yelling. "What the hell (Y/N). I thought you would agree with me on this crap! I can't believe this!" Ransom storms downstairs and you follow him.

"Ransom don't walk away from me!" You grab his arm. "Ransom you shouldn't rely on Harlan or anyone to give you money." You try to say calmly. "Why shouldn't I get money from people?" He yells back at you. " Because what kind of man would that make you? What kind of FATHER would that make you?" Ransom is stunned at your words. "Father?" You shake your head. "You know what I meant." You two stand there for a second looking at each other. "Are you at least going to the funeral?" You say to Ransom. He chuckles at you question. 

"No, are you?" "Yeah, I was planning on it since Meg and Martha invited me. I think you should go Ransom. Your mom would really appreciate it." He chuckles again. "Why would you care what my mom wants? She and my dad hate you." You look away from what he said to you because you hated the fact that his parents hated you. " I don't care that they don't like me..." You lied "I'm still going to go to the funeral since Harlan was a friend and i want to pay my respects to him and the family." He laughs more. "Whatever. I'm not gonna go." Ransom says while he goes upstairs. You sigh and hear a knock on the door. Dodger goes crazy since neither you or Ransom have played with him yet today.

 When you open the door, you see Martha standing there looking like she just saw a ghost. "Martha what are you doing here? i was just about to leave for the funeral." Martha looks at you. "Is Ransom around?" You look at her confused. "Um, no he's upstairs." "Can we talk somewhere else?" Martha asks you. She sounds like she is afraid of something. "Of course. what is it?" You are really confused about what Martha wants to tell you. "Wait, not here. Let me drive you to the funeral." 

You grab your keys and coat the walk out of the house with Martha. You lock the door and get into Martha's car. When you two pull out of the driveway you ask Martha, "What did you want to tell me?" Martha hesitates for a second, looks at you then back to the road. She sighs, then tells you whats been on her mind. "(Y/N) Harlan didn't commit suicide." "What?" You are surprised by her words. "What do you mean he didn't commit suicide?" You ask eager for an answer. "I killed him (Y/N). I killed Harlan."