Chapter 15

"He's my father."

Ransom let go of your hand. "what?" "Blanc is my father." I could tell he was mad. "You told me your father was dead." "I know I did, I was just so ashamed of him. Ever since my mother died. He has never been the same. He started drinking and abusing me, giving me scars." " You told me those scars were from a car accident. Do you have anymore lies you want tot tell me?!" "No." You whisper back. 

The rest of the drive is quiet, when you guys get home, Ransom dose't even look in your direction. "I'm going to sleep on the couch tonight." He says grabbing blankets. "O-okay." I start walking upstairs. "I love you ransom." He doesn't respond. 

You walk upstairs to our bedroom with tears in your eyes. I couldn't fall asleep that night with Ransom in your head, but eventually you did. 

You wake up to a knock at the door. You get up and put on one of your hoodies on. "Hey Marta. What are you doing here?'" You hear ransom say. When you get downstairs, you see that Marta looks like she just saw a ghost. "can i talk to you and (Y/N)?" "yeah sure." 

*Short time skip*

"I don't know. "What's this?" Ransom says "It's my medical bag tag. they have my medical bag for some reason." You speak up. "this is a photocopy of just the header of a blood toxicology report on Harlan." ransom starts. "Marta this is gonna show the morphine overdose." Martha starts panicking. "So, I'm screwed." 

"How do you know all of this stuff?' I asked Ransom. "i was Harlan's research assistant for a summer, but what kind of blachmia scheme is this? I mean the actual evidence is sitting up the street at the crime lab.  There are no demands, there's no meeting place. what's the point of sending you this?" 

*At the crime lab*

We pull up to the side of the crime lab trying to hide in Martha's car. "Holy shit." You say. "this is insane." "Who would blow up  the whole real building just to blackmail me?" Martha says. "Martha, this means that the blackmailer has the only paper copy of the thing that can prove your guilt. You didn't get any other instruction, no phone call, no email nothing?' " Ransom said. 

"No. I haven't checked my email." Martha grabs her phone to check her email. There is one email that tells Marta to go meet whoever it is. 'You  know what this means right,. If you destroy that copy, you are totally in the clear." Ransom says. "Oh no. Uh guys maybe we should drive away." you say as Blanc starts walking towards the  car.

 Martha starts driving as fast as she can with Blanc and the cops on our tail. Blanc keeps calling you and Martha but both of you keep declining. Your phone rings again and Blanc pulls up to the window looking at you and pointing to the phone. 

All of the sudden Martha stops and the cops go flying past us. 'What re you doing?" She turns into town. She turns into an alleyway the is to small for the cops to get through. We get out of the alley wand Martha pulls over. "Oh my god. I'm just pure adrenaline right now, I feel like I swallowed bees. thank you guys. I couldn't do this without you." 

Then Blanc knocks on the window. "Get out." Elliot says. we get out of the car and raise our hands. "Put your hands down." Elliot said. Blanc spoke now. "I spoke to Harlan's mother , the night of the party, she saw someone climbing the trellis to the third floor." "Mr. Drysdale come one." Trooper comes over and cuffs ransom. 

"Wait what? Let him go!" You start to run towards them but Blanc holds you back. "(Y/N)! Let her go!" Ransom shouted. It took trooper and Elliot to get him in the car. Before he gets in, he looks at you and mouths ' I'm sorry.'