Chapter Seven: Alas, We Meet and Part Again

I had to excuse myself before I reacted to anything out of my character. I burst out the door of the home and stumbled my way through the meadow as I finally caught my breath. I fell to the floor. I breathed in and out, letting myself take in this moment of being alone and free.

What?

What?

I ... I had always wished the cruel guardians that raised me were not actually my parents. I was so different from them. Our only similarities are hair and skin after all, but nothing else that could prove we were blood.

This is a relief and yet it also feels like a painful knife stabbing straight to the heart.

Was I just abandoned?

How did my own... father not know of me?

I calmly breathed, trying to collect my thoughts before it swallowed me in its prison of confusion and pain.

It was night.

I gazed up at the stars that painted the sky in its shapes and colors of white, some gold.

It helped me, but only a little.

Aye...maybe I am in another dream or perhaps illusion.

Maybe, just maybe -

I heard the bristle of grass echo as footsteps were approaching and I turned to find Kivyein standing there without a word.

His eyes were hard on mine.

Mine ached, and burned with tears that did not pour.

What was I to think?

Is happiness okay? Sadness, or anger?

I didn't know.

"I...." I started. But Kivyein made his way to sit beside me and rest his hand on top of one of my tight fists.

"I knew it was weird that we looked so similar but...I guess a part of me couldn't believe it."

"I know." Kivyein said, with a soft tender tune that almost sounded more like a melody. "That's why you had saved him when you first met him, because a part of you wanted to know. You wanted to confirm something you felt inside."

Blast this fool.

This wonderful...fool.

He was right.

"I just don't understand. I've had...a brother...and a father, all this time. They have lived so far from me. But I was raised by pirates. How? How did they end up here and I..." I shut my eyes trying not to think.

Iylma said she raised me with my guardians until three.

Which is when she left and I was left with those bloody monsters.

Who were they then?

"I know you have many questions, Zyrena, and I think the answers are waiting for you inside."

I took one more look above me, one more breath trying to feel the peace of the wind against my skin.

"Aye, you're right."

"I'll be by your side. No matter what ailing moments wait ahead, I will be right there."

I looked over to him who kept a steady gaze at me. His warm hand soothes my cold.

"Thank you Kivyein. I'm afraid, truthfully. He looked sick. Tairan said at first, when I spoke with him that he wanted to return home to say goodbye. I thought he meant until he returned, but then he agreed to come with us and there may not be a chance to return. So what if...this is the one and only chance I have? I don't know how I would feel about it. I just know it scares me."