Chapter Eleven: Children of the Sea

Kivyein guided me in silence back to the doctor's house.

For a while, neither one of us said anything.

He broke our silence as we got closer.

"It's not your fault, you know." He started.

I swallowed. Uneasiness crept up all over my body.

"You do know that." He restated.

I looked toward him as he stopped in his tracks, turning his head to meet my eyes now.

I bit my lip in frustration.

Blast him. Send a kraken down and...

Aye. Right.

Nevermind.

"Kivyein, it is my fault. I don't need to go over why it's so. But -"

"If no one thinks that way, especially Tairan, then why should you?"

Aye. He got me there.

"Because if he didn't meet me and I didn't bring him on board, he wouldn't have been in harm's way."

Suddenly, another voice intercepted.

"If you didn't meet him, then you would've never known the love you had all along. And you wouldn't have known you had a brother out there."

Layalia smiled, arms crossed and leaned against the wall of the doctor's house.

"Captain, we've seen all ye stupid actions. But this by far, was one of the worst." Rycan smiled. He liked to purposely emphasize pirate lingo though none of us truly spoke it enough.

"Even still, if it weren't for you, we wouldn't have made it out of there." Layalia declared.

"We all played a part in that." I couldn't muster up more to say.

I was met with Layalia's warm embrace, followed by Rycan's occasional pat on the head. Kivyein and I shared one more look before I stepped inside.

When we made our way to the house, I stopped. My heart which has been heavy for some time now, was beginning to feel more at ease.

But only slightly.

Aye, of all things... Why did Tairan have to get hurt?

If it were me, I would've been much better off.

Mentally and physically.

Kivyein waited outside and the doctor was now tending to some other late night matters.

The room was lit with amber hues. Tools lay scattered about all across the tables and dressers. Blood stained some of them.

Our eyes met.

"You look awful," He started.

I could feel myself frown.

"Back at you."

Though my insides twisted for so long, not knowing if he was going to make it or not, I felt reluctant to see him awake.

His chest had plenty of gauzes and wraps. His shirt was off to the side, stained with blood.

"You should stop blaming yourself. Worry doesn't suit you."

I glared at him.

"Ah, that's more like the Zyrena I know."

I exhaled and found myself a seat by his bedside.

"I'm sorry."

"What for?"