Chapter Thirteen: Into the Unknown

The siren was no longer in sight.

For a moment I thought I was in the clear.

But blast me out to the sea; I was terribly mistaken.

There was a prickly feeling in the air that left me frozen in place for some time. I was moving to return back to the town and to Tairan, but I seemed to have been going in circles.

No matter where I stepped, I would always return to the same place from whence I started.

"Enough of your games. Come out or I'll come find you." I announced.

There was a short pause and I heard nothing.

She may have physically vanished from my presence but she's hiding somewhere nearby to avoid fighting me up close.

Because she knew.

"Captain, Captain." Her voice teased and echoed.

I noticed something odd.

The entire scenery remained still as though every single thing, including the moving tides were stuck in place,

"Look, I already told you, I am not making a deal with you."

"I was trying to be nice earlier when asking. But you give me no choice now." The siren replied.

I swallowed. The air felt dry.

I still had my cutlass gripped in my palm.

I used my other free hand to grab and hold my pistol.

Before me, everything was still...

Then I heard it.

Replacing the rising tides were the sound of voices echoing from far away.

I turned in all directions trying to pinpoint where I thought the noise was coming from.

The thick wave of crismon water came from all sides of the island and headed in only one direction.

Where I stood.

Well.

I think I've finally hit the state of insanity.

I wasn't afraid anymore.

Nor did I expect anything less from the constant, vigorous, obstacles that approached my way.

I had to stand there and brace for impact.

The waves were fast approaching.

I steadied my posture. My eyes narrowed, waiting to make a move.

Were they going to drown me?

Or...

The sudden sound of waves thrashing all around startled me.

They moved in both directions on either side of me, then stopped in its tracks, towering over like a mountain.

Nothing was left in this space aside from myself and a path that formed in a straight line in front of me.

"I'll show you how terrible your mistake was. And you will learn never to say no to a siren again."

I scoffed.

And I thought I had my moments of being cocky.

I didn't bother adding more to say.

The immediate forms of unknown figures in pure black were rising from the ground below.