45) Destroy The Life Of The Man Who Destroyed Mine

Niko Nicotera as Ratboy

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cassandra
J ended up bringing the whole family down to the fundraiser, which was a joyful surprise for me. Grace and Gem took care of the babies so the other kids could go off and have a good time. I carried Abel around on my hip as I was too scared to let him walk on his own in fear of him running off in this crowd. I even let him have ice cream which he managed to get all over my face too.

Piper stuck to his step-brother, which didn't seem to bother Kenny and the two of them walked around, catching up with friends from school. It was J that surprised me the most, he followed Ellie around and let her friends they caught up with giggle and drool over him but his eyes remained on her. Eventually, the two split off from the group and I watched them smiling and laughing together. It astounded me how beautiful Ellie was growing up to be. Since she's stayed at the clubhouse and our house more than enough times I knew she worked hard in losing the baby fat she had two years ago. Not that J seemed to pay attention to that, they had been close friends ever since he got here.

Grace sidled up beside me, Thomas had been passed over to Phil who looked like he was enjoying the funny faces he was pulling at Thomas more than the baby did. "What exactly is J waiting for?"

"You know he's never had a girlfriend."

"Have you seen how handsome your son is?" I pulled a weird face at her. "Calm down, I'm into older guys, not younger. But with how good looking you and Jax are, he's going to be stellar."

"He's certainly breaking the hearts of Ellie's friends. Did you see the way they were tripping over themselves to get to him?"

Gracie smiled, watching the pair. Though there was obvious chemistry, I wasn't sure whether J realised his feelings or just wouldn't act on them for some reason. Gemma approached us next, Harry on her hip with the two men behind her. "Let's get these children home, shall we?"

Momma Gem was a natural, she had all of them safely tucked into their makeshift beds within ten minutes. "I hope Lyla comes back, have you heard from her?" My best friend looked at me.

I shook my head in answer, the two of us seated at the kitchen table. "I sent her a text saying her children were safe and we had them taken care of and I asked her when she was coming back but she didn't reply."

The blonde shook her head, her long hair now down past her shoulders swaying with the movement. "You don't walk out on your kids."

Jax's motorcycle pulled up outside, the headlights blinking off and a few seconds later he walked into the kitchen but the normal cheeky grin he used to greet me with was covered by a solemn expression. Grace noticed and stood up, just as Gemma came from the living room. "We better get going," Grace nodded to Gem who got the message and left without a word.

Jax blew out a long breath of air, taking the seat opposite me at our table. "What happened at the setup tonight? I'm guessing no one was hurt as I wasn't called."

There had been a rat within the Mayan ranks and they'd used him to set up the Lobos in town to try and take them out and stop attacking our clubs. Jax shook his head. "There wasn't a gunfight. They knew we were there."

"What?!"

"Two vehicles came, a truck and a van. The van left and when we opened the back of the truck the bodies of Armando, along with Marcus' missing guys were in there, kuttes on 'em and all."

"Fuck," I whispered, sitting forward and pressing my palms together in a silent prayer I was sending to a god I didn't believe in. "I've been laid off at work. I can't deal with this shit."