48) Kozik's Dead

Drea de Matteo as Wendy Case

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Cassandra
Jax stepped out to talk to his mother a bit more and make sure she was alright. Phil knocked on the door and lumbered in, someone following him in.

"Cassandra, she said she was family."

I tried not to let the shock show on my face as I looked back at Wendy Case. She smiled awkwardly, holding a box of flowers in her hands with a get-well-soon card sticking out of the top of it. "It's okay, Phil." I managed, still staring at her.

She smiled and moved over to the cupboard at my side, setting down the flowers. "Thanks," I muttered, confusion definitely shining through as I glanced from her to the flowers.

"I'm sorry to just barge in. I wasn't sure if you were gonna be awake.

"What are you doing here, Wendy?" My tone came out sharper than I intended.

"I'm running a program in the HR department and I was looking for you in Neonatal and they told me you were up here."

"Here I am. I-I thought you were in Seattle?"

"I was, Sober Living, just moved back two weeks ago. Things went really well for me up there. I got a job at a recovery centre in Lathrop, we do a lot of hospital and corporate stuff."

"Good for you," I nodded. "That's really good."

She kept looking at my hand. "Can I ask what happened to you?"

"I slammed my hand in a car door." It technically wasn't lying but it wasn't the whole truth either.

She gave me a doubtful look but opted to change the subject. "I heard about your son, Thomas, congratulations. I'm so happy for you and Jax."

"Thank you," I smiled. "It's uncanny, he looks exactly like Jax."

"Look, Cass, I've been waiting for the right time to reach out."

I raised an eyebrow. "And you thought now would be a good time?"

"I don't want to cause any trouble."

"What is it you want, Wendy?"

"I wanna see my son."

"No." Was the firm and cold answer she got. "I'm his mother. I raised him and took him on as my own."

"I know, I know and for that, I will be forever thankful. But legally, I am still his mother."

"I don't know whether you noticed, but I don't care." I snapped. "We do not have any beef between us Wendy, you could have picked a better time to approach me with this but so help me god, if you push this right now, I will keep that boy away from you for the rest of you life."

She blinked. "You mean, there's still a chance?"

"You gave up your rights."

"I gave up custody, yes. Not the right for him to know the truth."

"He has a family, he has a big brother who loves him, little brother, friends, a mother who would lay down her life for him like he were her own. And as for the truth, he will learn it. I never planned on keeping it from him."

She watched me carefully. "I'm going to get to know my son."

"Keep going and you won't," I growled. "Do not push me, I hold the cards and I was perfectly at peace with our situation until you did barge in here and demand to see the child you almost killed before he was even born! Get. Out."