Chapter 14 - The Calm before the Storm

A/n Last warning for Manga and Mugen Train spoilers. If you haven't read the manga, I heavily suggest you do. Also before confusion strikes, Aniki is a Japanese honourable term for an older brother or a superior. 

Y/n's PoV: 

Today was another day full of peace. I should wave Rengoku-san goodbye before he leaves for his mission. I guess I'm just worried about it. I have a bad feeling about everything and a part of me doesn't want to let him go to the mission but if he wants to go can't stop him. "Aniki!" I called out just before he started approaching the entrance. Rengoku-san was always like a brother to me so I looked up to him and his natural leadership skills.

"Ah! There's the energetic little Hashira I know. Do you need something, Y/n-chan?" He asked in his usual voice. "Well, I wanted to say good luck! It's disrespectful not to say goodbye, also I have something to tell you. "Hm?" He responded as he bent down to my height. "Aniki, I have a bad feeling about you going on this mission. I don't think you should go on it alone or just with the boys. At least you should bring some of the other Hashiras with you. Ah, I'm not demanding you too. It's just a suggestion..." I explained bashfully.

He pinches his chin in thought then cracks a wide smile on his thin lips. "If you suggest it, then why don't you and Muichiro come along as well? You're both Hashira, am I right?" My eyes lit up with sparkles. "R-really, Aniki!?" He nodded with a thumbs up. "I'll wait here for the two of you here. Take your time." I nodded. "Thank you, Aniki!" I rushed over to Muichiro who wasn't too far away. "Mui-chan! Get your ass up! We've got a mission now!" I shouted. "Eh-" He looks at me with his usual blankness. "No time for questions- Let's scramble!" I pulled him by the arm and rushed back to Rengoku-san.

"Both of you ready?" Rengoku-san asked. "Yep!" I replied, full of energy that seemingly came out of nowhere. Rengoku-san started leading us to our destination. "Sorry, Mui~" I apologized quietly. He simply shrugged carelessly and went with the flow.

We walked for a few miles, Chit-chatting about life and such until we finally reached a town. "Hide your swords," Rengoku-san ordered kindly. I hid mine under my haori. Wait, where's Mui gonna hide his? I turned to him. He was staring blankly at his sword. "Mui, I'll hide it for you," I extended my hand with a smile. I saw a deep red tint as he looked into my eyes. "Hm?" I try to catch him out of the daze he was in. "O-oh, Thank you, Y/n." He handed me his sword and I stuffed it behind my Haori.

We continued walking until we reached a train station. "Train?" I questioned. "Ah, yes. There have been various complaints of many people going mission after having been on this train so expectedly, we demon slayers were called." Rengoku explained. We bought our train tickets and headed to the train. Hm. Something's strange. "Aniki, where are the boys?" I ask him curiously. "They'll be joining us later on. Shall we enter the train first?" Muichiro and nodded in unison. 

We walked and easily found a seat. We sat across from Rengoku-san. "We'll be here for a while, waiting for the boys so you two can feel free to do as you please till then." "Thanks for bringing us on this mission, Aniki!" I thanked. He nodded and continued, "I'm gonna find some food. Would you two like anything?" Muichiro shook his head response and so did I. And with that Rengoku-san was off.

"Mui, are mad with me?" I ask out of the blue. "Why would I be mad with you?" He asks in response. "Well, I pulled you on this mission against your own will. You could be resting at home but instead, you're here." He looked at my face as I averted my eyes and looked down. He placed a hand on my cheek and brought my face up so I was facing him. "It's alright. If I'm with you then all is fine. And besides, if I were mad at you, I can't stay mad at you." I felt my cheeks rise in temperature. I smiled a little from his words as well. I wanted the gap to be closed but I'm scared he'll be caught off-guard and- 

"Am I interrupting something?" Rengoku-san! "Ah! It's nothing Aniki. We were just... It's nothing." I stuttered trying to explain as I took Muichiro's hand off my face. He simply smiled with his food. "Say... Muichiro-kun! You've been quiet. Is there something on your mind? Or a certain somebody?" Rengoku-san gave a wink. Instantly Mui's face turned red as he looked away, attempting to hide his red-tinted cheeks but proven ineffective. "Hehe, cute~" I flirted as I poked his cheek. He simply looked at me with that usual gaze of his. But this time, it was as if he were inspecting my eyes, or finding something in them. 

I smiled and looked away. As I did, a cute yawn erupted from me. "I didn't quite get enough sleep last night. I think I'll take a nap." I announced as curled up onto Muichiro's lap. I simply smiled at him and fell into a slumber