Chapter TEN - The Towering Pyramid

The train journey was quick. Emma and Blake both watched the scenery pass by out the window, discussing their favourite parts of the previous day. They left the train, finding their way out the hectic station. The sun was furious, sending fire down on the city below. Blake hailed a taxi and they shoved against one another inside for the air that blew from the front of the car.

After finding a position where they could both feel the cool breeze, the ride was smooth. The driver pulled up outside their hotel. The towering building before them was beautiful and modern. Emma stared up at it in awe, smiling at the flowers that grew up the sides of the rocks like veins.

'Emma.' Blake's voice was detached, his hand fumbling for her shoulder where he gave her a light shove. She turned on her heel, her smile fading at the interruption.

'What?' She asked with irritation, glaring at his dazed face. His mouth was open, his eyes glazed over. He gave her a shove, knocking her around slightly. The anger that rose inside her fizzled out immediately when she caught sight of what held Blake's stare.

The pyramids could be seen, their points rising high into the clear blue sky, close to touching the sun. Her mouth fell open, the sun drying the inside of her mouth in seconds. Her stomach dropped as she saw its height, vertigo taking hold of her and making her feel as though she was spinning.

Emma looked away, catching Blake's face staring widely at her from her left side. She laughed at him, taking one last look at the view that made a bottomless pit form inside her before walking into the hotel.

The view from their room showed the pyramids, the tall buildings of different colours and the endless ocean of sand. Their room was bright with flowers on the desk. Blake opened the fridge, throwing a bottle of water to Emma and opening a small bottle of alcohol, tipping the contents down his throat in one go. Emma watched with wide eyes, feeling the burn in her own throat. She washed away the tingles with icy water, sitting down on the soft, bouncy bed.

'Pass me your bag.' She demanded, watching as Blake's head popped up from the fridge. He moved over to his bag, picking it up with one hand and throwing it to her. He twisted the cap off, pouring another drink down his throat, hissing as it melted the flesh of his gullet.

Emma rifled through, pulling out the leather green journal and opening it up towards the end. She fluttered through pages, hearing another empty bottle clink into the bin. 'Do you want to calm down?' She bit, sending him glares as he stopped in his tracks that were heading straight back to the minibar.

He raised his hands in surrender, closing the fridge door and taking his bag back. The sun was high in the sky. Blake walked over to the balcony, opening the doors and standing out in the sun, closing his eyes as he basked like a lizard.

Emma's voice tore him back to reality. His skin bubbling in the heat and his hair sticking with sweat. He turned and walked back into the chilled room, eyes landing on the small girl perched on the edge of the bed. She stood, turning the book so that the pages were facing him.

'Huh, so that's what you need?' Blake asked, reading the information on teleportation. He read the names below, those that discovered and evolved teleportation. He read the incantation that Emma would say over in her mind and how exactly she'd be taken where she wanted to go.

Emma turned the book back, a thrilling glint in her eyes as she read the words eagerly. Blake stepped back, standing out of the suns reach. 'You doing this now?' He asked with wide eyes. She dropped the book on the bed, looking up at him while grabbing her hair to tie it back.

'Yeah, I have to learn.' She stated obviously, brushing her hands down her thighs in preparation. Blake sat down on the bed, his eyes longingly looking out the window. He dragged them back to Emma as she closed her eyes. 'Where should I go?' She asked, biting the inside of her gums.