Chapter TWENTY-SEVEN - The Brush of Her Cheek

'One day.' Jen stated, sitting on the edge of the bed. She lifted her heavy head to stare at them with sleepy eyes. 'He said he'd give us one day.' The smell of vomit was gone, their senses used to the burning.

Emma shook her head, pointing to Blake. 'Us.' She corrected, waving her finger between them. 'Not you. You're done.' She said gruffly, staring with hard eyes down at Jen. The girl's face fell, her eyes narrowing as wrinkles drew in her forehead.

'What?!" She hissed, shooting to her feet. 'I helped you guys.' She objected; her face squashed up as she argued. 'You said they'd come and get me if you left me.' She reasoned, hoping that it was her way in. She needed to see it. She needed to know it was real. The desire scorched within her; the desperation clear in her voice.

Emma shook her head, just about to speak when Blake cut in. 'She might have a point.' He agreed hesitantly, his eyes thin as he stared cautiously at her. Emma shook her head, turning her attention to him.

'We've got it, they know we do. Why would they come after her?' She interrogated, eager to keep Jen away from everything. She was scared. Not of what was to come, she'd accepted that. But she was scared of herself. The memory of herself in the crown felt so real, the weight still lingered upon her head. She'd gotten her family killed in her memory, no one else would die on her watch.

'Because they don't know where it's going.' Emma's body tensed up at his words. She was under the impression that all the rivals were attacking so that Death didn't get it. Blake sighed, crossing his arms as he sat back in the seat. 'No one has known the whereabouts of these jewels or the crown for years. But you've found them.' His eyes filled with pride and comfort. 'They've been tracking you for years, that's why I was sent. It wasn't to watch you or make sure you didn't fuck up. It was to keep you alive so you could find them. If you died,' He shook his head at the thought, 'Death would be back to square one. You're powerful. Well, you were. Not anymore.'

Emma stepped back, processing his words. She had power when she had knowledge. Now, what she held belonged to Death. She was useless. She chuckled dryly, biting her healing gums.

'They don't know if you're using it or handing it over. They won't stop fighting until they have it.' His vision moved to Jen, sending her a soft smile. 'She has to stay with us until it's all over.' He moved back to Emma, the debate she was having mentally was evident on her face.

She nodded, turning to Jen's hopeful face. 'Okay, but I can't make any promises.' She warned, crossing her arms over her body. Jen smiled, nodding her head.

'You never could.' The whole time she'd never known what she was in store for. But there was no way she was leaving; she couldn't walk away. She was learning, seeing and experiencing. She still thought of the way she'd killed the demon, Blake explaining that she hadn't taken a real life. She thought of the strength she'd felt, the power that she didn't know she held. She yearned for more. She yearned to live.

'So,' Emma started, her foot tapping restlessly on the ground, 'what do we do with our one day?' She asked, letting the air out her lungs until they felt dry and tight. Blake sat forward; his head tilted in thought.

'Get drunk?' He offered, his eyes bouncing between the two. Emma laughed at his words, a bubbly chuckle filling the room. It was a nice noise; he'd forgotten what it sounded like.

'Why the fuck not?' The smile spread across Emma's face, pulling her cheeks up until they were pinched and wrinkled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They laughed in their seats overlooking the loch. They were the last ones there, the bar closing as they finished their drinks. Emma paced herself, she had questions to ask and answers to receive. Blake and Jen threw their bodies around, their hands gaining minds of their own as they flapped around them.