Chapter NINETEEN - The Constellation

The wooden beams dug into his spine. His jacket was tight around his shoulders as he sat tense, reading the circled and underlined words that Emma was rapidly talking about beside him. Her words were a hum to his ears, his vision was blurry and his mind distracted. He could see her hands moving around him, she turned pages and pointed while Jen stood listening.

He could feel the confusion wafting off of her. The silence she held as questions built up within her. His breathing was all he could hear, his heavy heart in another person's chest thudded against his ribcage. Guilt soaked him, mixing with the sweat that clung to his hot skin.

'Blake.' Emma's voice met his ears and his head snapped up. 'What do you think?' She asked, unaware that his attention had been elsewhere. He shook his brain and looked down at the pages, the circled words didn't fully stay in his mind and he knew he had to say something.

'Look,' He started, standing from the chair and stepping to the side, 'I'm going to shower. I'll read it later.' He closed the bathroom door before she could speak, locking it and laying his head against the wood. He closed his eyes, his mind drifting back to the night. The burning of red sparked in his head, the sound of rocks scraping against one another boomed in his mind. He opened his eyes before he could be taken back.

The water was cold, singing his hot skin as the droplets soaked him. He heard the door closing and he relaxed his muscles, knowing that he was alone. He swallowed and lifted his hands, running them through his matted hair. He tugged the knots out hard, the pain dull to his senses. The water poured over his head, streams running down his face as he kept his eyes closed, hoping the water would wash away the guilt too.

The breakfast buffet was met with greedy hands. Emma and Jen filled their plates and devoured the food in minutes. Jen asked and Emma answered, she hoped that her words would help her friend understand the situation that she'd been dragged into. Jen's eyes were wide, full of energy as she raised the mug of their third cup of refillable coffee.

Emma smiled to herself as Jen reiterated what she'd been told, understanding everything in her own words. Emma never thought they'd sit together again, chatting with intensity and forming another, new kind of bond. She stared at Jen's face, her impeccable skin and features were always something of envy to Emma. She wanted to ask about her life, what she was doing but she thought against it, looking around and remembering that she'd pulled Jen from that life.

The smile disappeared as she realised that. The bond wasn't real. The friendship was based on kidnapping in a sense. Jen's hands waved, the coffee in the mug splashing against the rim but never spilling.

'So, you're looking for something in the book to explain where the crown is?' Jen keenly acknowledged, the table digging into her ribcage as she hunched over to whisper to Emma amid the busy hall. Emma sipped her coffee, the bitter taste gratifying as she swallowed with thought.

'Yeah, I need Blake to help but he's...' Emma stared at the doorway, waiting to see him swagger through with his smile wide and his eyes mischievous. But she was met with two squealing children chasing after each other. Jen pulled herself back, noticing the sadness wash over Emma's body.

'He's elsewhere.' She answered, finishing Emma's sentence as she held the warm mug tight in her hands. Emma nodded at her words, hiding her face behind the cup as steam danced in front of her eyes.

'He was outside all night.' She added, worry building up in her eyes. Jen's brows furrowed at her words and she glanced to the outside seating area. 'He won't tell me what's wrong.' Emma admitted with a troubled voice. She'd never realised how much of a friend he was too her.