Chapter THIRTY-ONE - The Decision

Emma stared at the horn, the ragged bone spinning limply on the rocky ground like a dropped coin. Death screeched; Its voice similar to an animal howling in pain. Emma flinched at the sound, Death's hands patting upon the jagged bone. Emma looked to the side, hearing feet landing on the ground. There he was, Agarath, the crown stuck in his mouth as he hunched his back, glaring down at Death.

Emma gasped, her eyes expanding at the sight. He was betraying his master, for her. Worry struck like lightning; he would be slaughtered for this. Emma looked to Death, Its heel digging into the stone as It prepared to launch. Emma didn't think, she lifted her hand and the words were whispered without her control.

'Eramanas.' A bright blue beam shot from her palm, the smell of burning skin rising to her nose. Death spun around just in time, the beam hit the dark chest, throwing Death far back. Agarath panted, drool slithering down the crown as the jewels shimmered at Emma from the darkness of his mouth, the teeth scraping against the gold bands. She smiled, panting as she lowered her hand. She could see the black flapping cloud whizzing towards her.

'Leviato.' She hissed, pushing off the ground and flying up to the air. Death flew underneath, a yell of frustration booming up towards her. Its face appeared in the cloud, wings showing glimpses of Its fierce eyes. Her stomach dropped at the sight of the sickly smile that beamed up at her. 'Comentus.' She growled; her hand stretched out for anything.

It all happened in slow motion.

The cloud of Death soared towards Agarath whose beady eyes widened. He threw his head back, his jaws opening and releasing the crown into the air. Emma grunted, the glimmer catching her eyes. She threw the small blade in her hands towards Blake, moving through the air as she followed the spinning knife. Her jaw dropped and she turned her body in the air. The blade soared towards Death who was closing in on Blake. However, the smoky body separated and the blade sailed between the dark mist. Emma spun her body, grabbing the crown just as Death's cloud of smoke sharpened and reached out to her. She landed on the ground with a hiss, the spikes from the crown had dug themselves deep into her wrist and Death had sliced through her side.

The sound of sniffing filled her ears, the creatures could smell her sweet stinging blood. A whimper coursed through the cave and Emma forgot about the pain. Agarath's body lay on its side, his four legs all twitching as Death's arm, a large clouded blade sunk deep into Agarath's ribcage. The blade that Emma had thrown was held tight in Death's other hand. The smoke faded and Its body appeared, Its head turned and a manic smile covered Its face. Skin ripped and flesh tore as Death stood, Its arm emerging from Agarath's body, a curved bone in its bloodied grip. A rib.

Emma growled, and at that moment, a decision had to be made. She looked around, Jen hid behind Grim who looked at Emma with pain and sorrow. His scythe crossed over his body as he protected Jen. His blue eyes shimmered, and she begged them to help her, tell her what to do. Her gaze moved to Agarath, the hole in his chest pumping litres of orange light out like blood as his breathing slowed to a whisper. Death's arm was soaked in the bright sunlight colour, the bone falling from his loose grip.

'Make a choice.' It growled, seeing the pain in her eyes. Emma swallowed, Jen's eyes sparkling from behind Grim's black cloak as her cries met Emma's ears. 'Save the traitor,' Death spat, stalking tall towards her, 'or let him die for the crown.' Emma shook her head at Death's words, tears running down her cheek as every creature in the room held its breath.

She lowered her body, gently placing the red soaked crown on the rocks. Death smiled at her, stepping to the side and stretching an arm out to Blake. 'Wise.' It praised, smiling as Emma darted past. The blade dropped from Death's hand, watching her stupidity as she dropped by Agarath. She gagged at the sight, the orange glow in his chest was the weakest of lights. She placed her hands down, his figure blurry through her tears. 'Hellora, Silvou.' She pleaded, begging as she choked the words through sobs.